34. When the sun rises

The morning sickness had been gone for four days in a row, for which Caia was grateful. It was hard seeing Annika in such discomfort every single morning, and the vomiting was interrupting her much needed sleep.

In celebration of it, Annika had suggested the night before that they take advantage of the clear day and watch the sunrise from the balcony, something she had been wanting to do for a while now, but had been too sick to enjoy.

Wrapped up in their blankets, Annika sat in the lounge chair on the balcony with Caia in her lap.

"It's so cold," Caia said, her teeth chattering.

"I know," Annika murmured. "But it will be worth it."

Over time, the dark, starry sky melted into the pale blue of day. The sun was yet to show its face, though the bright aura had begun to peek out from over the horizon.

"Do you know why I wanted to watch the sunrise with you?" Annika asked.

Caia cuddled closer. "Why?"

"When I was shot, I was sure that when I closed my eyes, it would be for the last time. I truly thought I would never see you again. Or see Hallie again. And the moment I woke up in that hospital bed with you beside me, I realised I had been given a second chance. I realised just how precious life is." Annika hugged Caia tighter, interweaving their fingers. "I don't want to waste a single day that I've been given."

Bright, yellow sunlight rose up from the horizon, bathing the ocean in its glow.

"Every single day is one day more than I thought I would have. And I don't want the sun to set on any day that I haven't truly lived."

Caia felt something cold against her hand and looked down. Her breath hitched as Annika slid a white gold, diamond ring onto her finger. She released a shaky breath.

"Every day the sun rises, is a day I want to wake up beside you. Every day, for the rest of my life."

Tears streamed down Caia's cheeks. Words failed to collect in her mind. All she could do was stare at the ring on her finger. At last, she lifted her gaze and looked into Annika's eyes. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. I've never been more sure of anything." Annika wiped Caia's cheeks dry. "I've put a lot of thought into this, and I understand that I'm putting you on the spot, so if you'd like to take some time to think about it..."

Caia looked down at her hand. The ring fit perfectly. She twirled it around her finger, smiling. "I don't need time. Of course the answer's yes."

Annika pulled Caia closer and squeezed her tight. "I love you so much." She pressed their lips together, their tears melding on their cheeks. "There's something else," she said, pulling away. "When I thought I was going to die, I was terrified I was leaving Hallie behind. She would have had Skye, but she would have grown up without a parent."

Heavy pounding beat its way throughout Caia's chest, then into her skull. She couldn't speak. Couldn't breathe.

"I want you to be Hallie's parent. The baby too. Marrying me will make you automatically their step-parent, but in the future I'd like you to adopt them."

A sob escaped Caia's chest. "Are you sure? We've only been together for like, four months. What if..." She couldn't finish her sentence, and instead broke down, leaning her head against Annika's chest.

"I've been in love with you from the second I met you. I know it's only been a few months, but we've spent almost all of that time together. We went straight to living together, so I don't think any part of our relationship has adhered to tradition. You've spent so much of that time with Hallie. I've watched how you interact with her, and there's no one I'd rather choose to be her second parent."