21. Did you mean that?

Caia gripped Annika's hand as she led her inside the luxurious hilltop mansion. The home Annika had grown up in. She was full of nerves. She had never been in a relationship, let alone been taken home to meet a partner's family. A wealthy family, none the less. She had no idea what to expect.

Wealth was a foreign concept to Caia. As was success. The kind of success the middle class preferred, at least. She was sure that in their eyes, she was a nobody. Especially compared to Annika.

"This place is huge."

Annika smiled, squeezing Caia's hand. "My sisters and I would spend hours playing hide and seek here. There are so many rooms. So many places to hide." She smirked. "Perhaps I should show you one of them later."

"Don't. I'm nervous enough as it is without you getting all sexy on me."

There must have been hundreds of guests. The foyer was full of people, all mingling, while caterers wound their way through the crowd, almost invisible, offering platters of canapes, flutes of champagne. Caia wondered whether Annika had had a similar engagement party before she married Michael. If she had been excited, surrounded by family and friends. She wondered whether Michael had ever been as nervous as she was around Annika's family.

"Tell me what you're thinking," Annika whispered, holding Caia close.

"Did you have one of these?"

"No. I was six months pregnant and not at all in the mood for a party. It was... a difficult pregnancy to say the least. I should have realised what a sub-par parent Michael would have made when he couldn't even stand to be around me when I had morning sickness that lasted for months."

"Why?"

"Oh, he had a very strong aversion to vomit. It was quite comical actually. Picture a six-foot-six, heavily muscled man gagging and freaking out at the mere sound of me vomiting. He couldn't even be in the next room."

"I don't find that funny at all," Caia said. "He should have been there with you."

He should have been holding her hair back. Getting her water. Wiping her brow. All the things Annika had done for Caia while she was withdrawing. All the things Caia would do for her if she was ever in that position. Had she been in Michael's position, she would have doted upon Annika. "It's the least he could have done."

"Yes. I suppose you're right." Annika frowned. "Are you okay?"

Caia nodded. "Just really nervous."

Before she could say more, a man called Annika's name. On hearing him, she turned, smiling.

He was tall, even taller than Annika, and despite his grey hair, she could see the resemblance.

"Dad," Annika said, wrapping her arms around him. Their embrace was warm and familiar. Affection seemed to flow freely between them. Both their postures were relaxed. It wasn't the kind of hug given as a formality, nor an obligation. It was comfort. Love.

Something so foreign to Caia.

Annika stepped back, wrapping one arm around Caia's waist. "Dad, this is Caia."

"It's nice to meet you, Dr. Matthews," Caia said, holding out here hand.

"Nonsense," he said, grinning. Before Caia could anticipate his movements, he drew her in for a hug that was just as warm, just as bright, as the one he had shared with his daughter, though a little less intense. "Call me Harry." He pulled away, searching the room. "Lori, honey," he called to his right, before a woman joined him. She had Annika's dark eyes. Or perhaps, Annika had hers. "This is Caia."