Chapter 18 - Preparations

A/N: Finally a new chapter! 😥 It had been supposed to be published waaaay sooner, but I got stuck by not knowing how to write Petra and Levi's establishing relationship further, as well as how the story itself would develop further. 😐 I apologize for the wait and I hope you will like this chapter, as well as upcoming ones. Enjoy this chapter and have a good day! See you!

A week and a half before the 57th expedition beyond the Walls came in a blink of an eye, or so it seemed like that to Petra and Levi. From the day they had finally gotten together and admitted everything, an unspoken promise to never hide their sentiments and thoughts was established. Quick in taking good and stable roots.

That night, they spent time in Levi's room, sitting on his sofa and holding hands while leaning on each other, enjoying the silence of words and the sound of heartbeats. Eventually, bit by bit, they started talking and each minute passed so quickly and solemnly that it stretched into hours until both of them had fallen asleep there, waking up in each other's arms in the morning.

Smiles were adorning their almost, by the grief, mutilated faces. Oh how different it could have been. If only one of them didn't break, if only dear friends and family did not take action. If only they were left alone, nothing of this would have been possible.

The cognition, despite making them immensely grateful, also made them realize how little they had talked and how afraid they had been. How they had let their fears, insecurities and obstinacy take over and almost destroy them.

It meant that they had been completely unable to sort it out by themselves, which they were ashamed of.

So they separately inwardly made up their minds to never let it happen again. For it was plainly enough for all of that fuss to happen only once in a lifetime. There was no need for iteration.

Now, how did the others react to such a change? How people, known and unknown, involved and uninvolved, noticed or yet not the happiness radiating from the two of them, the one that could have not diminished for an observing eye and a keen mind of the outsiders?

It was splendid and true to say that surprise and wonder had spread in a few days among every single person in the HQ for nobody had seen Captain Levi happier or milder, as much as nobody could have guessed what happened to him in the first two weeks. Nobody but their squad that kept the truth tightly and well, not wanting something as the relationship between a superior and a subordinate broke into public.

Not yet in the end. Until they get married or if they do, something they never wanted to think over.

And of course, Commander Erwin and Squad leader Hanji were informed by overjoyed Eld and Eren the next day.

They had been in Commander Erwin's office reorganizing papers when two heralds politely knocked on the door. Squad leader Hanji had opened and revealed Eld and Eren with stupid grins on their faces. When they had been ushered to enter and when all the attention had been aimed at them, they told the happy news.

At first, Commander and Squad leader had been silent like the air had been knocked from them. Just when Eld had gotten worried, they shouted happily, hugging each other because something they were worried so much had finally sorted out.

After that, Eld and Eren left them alone, acting as if they hadn't noticed how two of them had blushed when they realized they hugged. In the end, the secret or something close to it will be safe with them.

Now, Eld hummed by his window in the room, looking at the wind-blown grass across the hill. Dancing were they and so his heart was, thinking how Captain Levi and Petra, who finally had done a step forward, had reminded him of his own obligations and wishes.