Chapter 2 - Just Keep It PG, Alright?

You know, it only took me about half a day to realize that Sean had waited to end things until he wouldn't have to see me for a week on purpose.

At first, I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I let myself wonder if maybe he did it to be considerate, to give us both some time to process everything before being forced to spend hours around each other every day.

It only took about five seconds for that theory to be shot down by my common sense.

The truth is, I know why he did it. He did it for himself. He did it because he's a coward.

It's that thought though, the idea that maybe he's just as reluctant to see me as I am to see him, that urges me forward. Mutually assured destruction doesn't sound too bad right about now.

I just have to make it through the day.. Sounds easy enough, right?

As I make my way down the crowded hallways, I'm on high alert, bracing myself for the "reunion" that I know is coming. Every corner I turn, every hallway I walk down could be the one he's in, and the thought that I could run into him at any given moment literally makes me sick.

After a walk that feels like a secret military ops mission, I finally make it to my locker, and my stomach starts to relax a little.

First challenge of the day complete.

It's only when I hear hurried footsteps approaching from behind me that I start to panic.

Someone calls out my name, and my heart starts hammering in my chest before I turn on my heels to see my friend Rose making her way towards me.

Oh, thank God.

Rose is one of the few people in this school that I'm actually friends with.

We knew each other in middle school but didn't really get along all that well. When she moved away after the eighth grade, I just figured that was that.

It wasn't until she moved back here at the beginning of the school year that we actually started getting to know each other. Since then, we've gotten pretty close.

It's a small school, so spending time around each other was basically a given. After a while, we realized that not only could we understand each other's complaints, but we could also make each other laugh, and really, what more do you need for a friendship?

It's been really nice having a close girl friend though. Besides my sisters, I've never had too many of those, not for lack of trying. She's been a great sounding board for me, and especially lately, with everything that's going on, I've never been more grateful to have her.

I force a smile on my face as she practically skids to a stop next to me. "Hey Rose, what's up?" I ask before noticing that she's now doubled over with her hands on her knees and taking deep breaths. "Why do you look like someone was chasing you? Should I be running too?"

She's still breathing hard from her sprint through the hallway, and holds up a finger indicating she's going to need a minute to recover.

"No one's chasing me," she puffs out before finally catching her breath and continuing. "I just wanted to see if you were okay," she says, and the concerned look in her dark brown eyes sets me on edge.

I know she's just trying to help, but my God, do I wish all my friends would stop looking at me like I'm some kind of wounded puppy.

I turn away from her and start putting books into my locker. "I'm fine, why wouldn't I be?" There's a slight tone of bitterness in my voice, and I hope that she takes the hint and doesn't bring it up.