Chapter 37 - Us Against the World

"There is no one else that I can say this to,
And there is nothing better than to talk to you.
If you have a problem,
I'll be here for you.
'Cause girl, you'll always know that,
It's us against the world."
- Play

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It's a Wednesday afternoon, and I'm in my room, detoxing after a particularly hard Spanish final.

Hunter and I breaking up couldn't have come at a worse possible time. It's taken everything in me to focus on studying for final exams rather than just sulking on my bed like I want to do.

Sean's been helping me study sometimes, and that's been helping a little. I forgot how studious he can be when he's actually trying. Really, I forgot every good thing about him up until recently.

I guess in a way, it's been a welcome distraction. Keeping my thoughts under control is a lot easier when I'm studying for an English test than it is when I'm just sitting in my room staring at the ceiling. Whenever I let my mind wander, it has nowhere to go but back to Hunter.

Still, I know I've been hitting the books a little hard lately. I don't have any tests tomorrow, so tonight, I'm looking forward to a much needed break.

Just then, my door bursts open, and Alina and Clara walk in.

I turn my head to face the two of them. "What is it?" I say, not even bothering to sit up.

"Get up, get dressed," Ali says. "We're going to the mall."

I raise an eyebrow at her. "I don't want to go to the mall," I reply.

Ali looks to Clara. "That's funny," she says. "Clare, did I say, 'Mia, do you want to go to the mall'?"

Clare shakes her head. "You did not, Ali."

"That's what I thought," she replies before turning back to me. "Unfortunately, this trip is mandatory. You can apply for an appeal, but I don't like your chances," she says with a shrug.

I sit up then, annoyed. "Aren't you supposed to be at college right now?"

"Aw, it's nice to see you too," Alina smiles at me. "I took the day off so we could all spend some time together, now come on."

"Well, that was really nice of you, but I can't go to the mall right now. I need to study."

"Come on, it'll be fun," Clara interjects. "Besides, you need to go somewhere. You've been holed up in your room for weeks."

"I have not."

"You have too, and you know it," she says.

"Well, I've been busy," I reply.

"Mia, come on," Alina says, leaning against my wall and crossing her arms over her chest. "We all know you're sad about Hunter, but don't you think you'll feel better once you talk about it?"

"Wait a second," I say, holding up a hand. "What makes you think this is about Hunter?"

"I have my sources," she replies.

I immediately turn to glare at Clara, who just shrugs. "What?" she says. "These are thin walls. Just be glad I didn't tell her that you practically had Hunter living with us for a week," she finishes, and I gape at her.

"You what??" Alina says.

"It isn't what it sounds like, okay?" I say quickly. "I can explain."

She narrows her eyes at me. "Is it not what it sounds like, or can you explain?"