Chapter 10 - Just Between You and Me

After Spanish class, it's finally lunch time, thank God. This has been one of the most exhausting mornings of my life.

All day, people who have literally never spoken to me before have been coming up to me in between classes and acting like we're best friends.

Keep in mind, these are the same girls who only last week were saying nasty things about me because of what happened with Sean, so you can imagine how confused I was that suddenly, they're acting like we braid each other's hair on the weekends for fun.

Of course, they immediately reveal their true motives when they introduce themselves to Hunter and then proceed to ignore me for the rest of the conversation. Somehow, this is simultaneously the most and the least attention I've ever gotten.

Hunter and I enter the cafeteria to stares and whispers, and one quick scan of the faces tells me everything I need to know about why. The girls look desperate, and the guys look threatened. It's pretty obvious that word is out.

There's a new kid, and he's hot.

Like I said, it's a small school, so it doesn't take long for news to make its way around, and the question on everyone's faces is clear. Why is the hot, new guy hanging around with Sean's ex?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's all most of these people know about me.

The feeling of eyes on me makes me want to disappear on the spot, but since my letter to Hogwarts never came, I'm going to go ahead and assume I don't have the ability to make that happen.

I'm all but hyperventilating as Hunter and I make our way through the lunch line, but I do my best not to show it. It's probably a little too soon to reveal my socially anxious side to him.

I decide to pay for both of our lunches as a thank you for yesterday. Of course, he protests, but I don't take no for an answer. He finally gives in after I promise to let him buy me lunch tomorrow. I try to ignore the implication that, apparently, he plans to hang around for a while.

Finally, we find the lunch table where Rose, Alex, Zack, Kimberly (Zack's on/off girlfriend), Jay, and Dejay are sitting.

"Hey guys," I say as we sit down. Everyone besides Rose is looking extremely confused as to who the stranger is that sat down across from me.

Oh right, am I supposed to introduce him? How do I do that? I don't want to sound overly formal.

Luckily, Hunter speaks up before I have a panic attack.

"Hey, I'm Hunter. I'm new here."

Alright, this is it. The moment of truth. Right here is where they decide if they accept him or not. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for their response. Zack looks up, the expression on his face unreadable. He opens his mouth to speak, and I wait with baited breath for what he'll say next.

"Hey man."

The rest of the guys look up, nod at Hunter, and then return to their conversation.

That's it? Well, guess I was worried for nothing.

Boys..

"Bro, remember how I crossed you up yesterday? Then I hit that sweet fade away while you were still trying to recover," Dejay says animatedly.

"Screw you man, that's not how it happened," Jay says, waving him off. "I remember that block though. Zack never even saw it coming."

"Shut up man, the sun was in my eyes," Zack defends.

Hunter laughs. "If I had a dime for every time I heard that one," he says.

Zack looks at him appraisingly. "You play?" he asks.