Chapter 31 - Please Don't Leave Quite Yet

After about five minutes, we pull up to the curb in front of my house, and I'm reminded of how much longer it takes to walk to places than it does to drive. Needless to say, I'm grateful that my boyfriend has a car.

I'm also grateful that we're finally here because Hunter's spent the last few minutes lecturing me on the dangers of the outside world like I'm some sort of helpless woodland animal.

"Alright, alright, you've made your point," I say finally. "Gosh, you sound like my mom...," I mumble, and Hunter just laughs. "I promise I'll call you next time, okay?"

"That's all I ask," he says with a smile. It feels good to see him smiling again. I don't ever want it to stop. "You should go inside and get some sleep though. It's almost one in the morning," Hunter turns to me and says.

"But what about you?" I ask. "You can't just stay in your car again."

"Trust me, I'll manage," he says. "Besides, it's better than going back to that snake pit I call a house. I can't do it anymore, Mia. I won't live like that, and if I have to stay away from home for a while to make sure of it, then that's what I'm going to do."

"But this isn't healthy either," I stress. "Sleeping in your car every night? Hunter, that's crazy."

"It's not a long term plan, but right now it's the best one I've got," he replies.

"Then stay with me," I say. Hunter looks at me like I just spoke in another language so I take a breath and explain. "I mean, you could, if you want. It'd probably be more comfortable than sleeping in your car," I finish. You know, when I had this idea back at the lake, I guess I should have thought about how embarrassed I'd be to actually suggest it.

Hindsight really is 20/20. Who knew?

Hunter freezes and stares at me blankly for a moment, before seeming to regain control of his motor skills. "Are you serious?" he asks. "Don't you think that's kind of risky? I mean, if your parents caught me in there, not only would they never let me see you again, but your dad would probably kill me." He raises a hand to rub the back of his neck. "Honestly, I don't think he likes me very much."

"It's not you, he just doesn't like teenage boys in general," I reply with a wave of my hand. "But that's besides the point. Look, I know this sounds crazy, but I can't just keep pretending that I don't see it, okay? I see how tired you've been, and how stressed you are, and I just think that maybe a good night's sleep in an actual bed might help."

He hesitates for a moment, and I worry he'll say no. If he does, I'm sure I won't get any sleep tonight. The fact that he's in this situation just because his parents don't approve of me is enough to keep me awake for hours.

He shouldn't have to go through any of this, especially not because of me, but I told him he could trust me with this kind of stuff. I'm sure part of that trust is not letting guilt drive me so insane that he ends up comforting me instead of the other way around.

I just need him to let me help him. He's helped me so much, and I just want to be able to do something for him for once.

"Are you sure?" Hunter asks, and I notice how tightly his hands are gripping the steering wheel. He glances up at me. "Because you don't have to do this," he continues. "I'll be fine. This is my problem, not yours."

I breathe out a sigh of relief. "I'm sure," I say.

"Okay then," he says, giving me a grateful smile. I smile back. "But if your dad catches us, I'm telling him this was your idea," he adds.

I laugh. "Oh please, like he'd ever believe that," I say, opening the passenger door and stepping onto the sidewalk. Together, we cross the street and make our way up the front steps.