Chapter 30 - Where Did You Sleep Last Night?

Something's wrong, and for the first time in a long time, it's not with me.

Go figure, right? But the thing is, I wish it were because the one with the problem now is Hunter.

And that's a big problem.

I first noticed it a couple of days ago, about a week after he went to see his old friends. He's been tired. At practice, he's been running a little slower and barely clearing heights that he usually sails right over. In class, he's been falling asleep regularly and losing his patience with the teachers. And he's been stressed.

Like really stressed.

At first, I thought maybe he was just tired or that the stress of the championship meet coming up was getting to him. I hoped really, but this morning, something was way off.

*Flashback*

I'm sitting in chemistry class, completely zoned out and wondering at what point in my life I'm going to need to know this, when I feel someone slide into the seat next to me.

"That seat's taken," I mumble, not even bothering to look up from the paper I've been absentmindedly sketching on for the past ten minutes.

"I know," a familiar voice replies, and suddenly, it's the best sound in the world.

I sit up from my previously slumped position and turn to face Hunter, who's smiling tiredly at me.

My heart drops when I see that he looks worse than he did yesterday. His eyes, his blue eyes that I love so much, seem dimmer and under them, there are just barely visible dark circles from lack of sleep. Even his uniform is disheveled and wrinkled, although it looks like he tried to hide it with his jacket.

I try to keep the worry from showing on my face, but it's hard considering I think I know what the problem is. His parents. He's been fighting more often with them lately, and they've been fighting with each other again. He hasn't really told me much about it, but sometimes when we're on the phone late at night, I can hear them.

I hate seeing him like this. It's weighing him down, and I just feel so useless. Whenever I ask how I can help him, Hunter says that I help enough by just being there for him, but it doesn't feel like it. As a matter of fact, it feels like I might be making it worse.

I mean, sure, his living situation wasn't ideal before I met him, but it wasn't like this. I can tell it's gotten worse than he's letting on. I've been trying to make sure he knows that it's okay if he needs some space, that I won't take it personally. After all, I don't want to be a burden, but he insists on spending time with me anyway. I feel awful letting him make me a priority when he needs to be taking care of himself. It's not fair to him, and it's not healthy.

When I'm finally done looking him over, I let out a reluctant sigh of relief. At least for right now, he's here, and he's safe. "Very funny," I say quietly so the teacher won't hear. "I didn't know if you were still coming. Are you okay?" I ask, eyebrows drawn together in concern.

"Yeah, fine. I always am," Hunter replies with a grin, but it doesn't reach his eyes. He's lying, I can see it all over him.

I frown. "Hunter, I know you. What's going on?"

"Nothing," he replies, but I'm not convinced, and he can tell. "Don't worry about it," he says instead. He moves his gaze to his chemistry book and starts flipping through pages, as if cutting off conversation.

"Hunter -," I begin, reaching out to place my hand over his, but he pulls it away before I can and quickly hides it from view.

"Mia, I'm fine, just- Leave it alone, okay?" Hunter stresses, raising his voice slightly and giving me a look that I can't exactly read. It's just harsh enough to make me stop asking though, and I withdraw my hand. Immediately, I see the frustration in his eyes be replaced with regret before I look away. Picking up my pencil, I return my gaze to the flower I was sketching in the corner of my notebook before he showed up.