C H A P T E R 2

"Paravala hollywood actor madhri irukaru." Sivaangi commented, zooming into the picture through her iPhone screen.

(Not bad, he looks like a hollywood actor.)

Shalini looked up at her with bored eyes. "Idhulam romba over."

(That's a stretch.)

Sivaangi giggled. "Seri okay hollywood venam, bollywood actor alavuku irukaru. Ivlo azhaga irundha thimura irukalam, thappu illa."

(Fine then, he looks like a bollywood actor. Now it is justified why he is so vain, nothing wrong with being conceited if one was this good looking.)

"Nee yaaru side di?" Shalini pulled over her blanket to look at her younger sister who still seems to be ogling over the picture of her fiancé.

(Who's side are you on?)

"Pona nimisham varaikum un side thaan but ippo..." Before she could finish her sentence, Shalini flung a pillow towards her.

(I was on your side but now...)

"Unakku romba pidicha, nee kalyanam panniko." Shalini suddenly said, causing a laughing Sivaangi to immediately stop.

(If you like him that much, you marry him.)

"Military yen kuda lam oru naalu kuda thaaku pidikathu, thirupi border ku odiruvaru. Nalaki varatum mapillai, vechi senjidalam."

(Military won't survive even a day with me, he'd run back to a border. Just wait till he comes here tomorrow.)
...

He brought his head close to the open window, letting the morning breeze gently hit his face. The car drove through beautiful hills and rivers that naturally put him in a good mood.

"Aama aama, anga thaan vandhutu irukom. Konjam late aagiduchu kelamba, Ashwin beauty parlour poitu varathuku late aagiduchu."

(Yes yes we're on the way there. We ended up being a bit late because Ashwin came back late from the beauty parlour.)

Ashwin alarmingly turned towards his mother who was speaking away in the phone. His mother gave him a mocking smile as she continued talking.

He noticed his brothers and father trying their best to control their laughter. Finally when his mother ended the call he turned and asked,"Naa beauty parlour ponana? Poyi solrathukum oru alavu irukuma."

(I went to the beauty parlour? At least make your lies believable.)

His mother simply scrolled through her messages. "Unna po sonnanla, nee yenda pola?"

(Well I did ask you to go there, why didn't you go?)

"Naangalam natural beauty, anga lam poga theva illa." He smirked with confidence.

(I don't need to since I'm naturally attractive.)

"Idhuku onnum korachal illa. Naa yedhu sonnalum nee kekakudathunu mudivu pannitalla?"

(You talk so well. Have you decided not to listen to anything I say?)

Ashwin sighed out loud and faced her with a poker face. "Neenga sonnathukaga kalyanam eh panna poren, innum indha dialogue eh mathalaya?"

(I'm gonna get married only because you wanted me to, how much longer are you gonna use this dialogue?)

"Kalyanam panna podhuma? Andha ponnu ta pesa sonna, pesuniya? Oru gift vaanga sonna, vaanguniya? Seri oru shave  panna sonna, panniya? Leave ah extend panna sonna-"

(Is getting married enough? I asked you to talk to her, did you? I asked you to get her a gift, did you? I asked you to shave, did you? I asked you to extend the leave-)