C H A P T E R 4

(Keep the comments coming, it really motivates me to write 😇)

The house was eerily quiet since the most of the populace had temporarily stepped out to do some last minute shopping before the big day arrives. Sivaangi knew this would probably be her only chance.

It's now or never.

Standing outside the door that she's never allowed to enter, her legs were shaking like jelly. She doesn't have to do this but she doesn't wanna sit back and see her one single chance slip away without even trying.

Breathing in and out for one more time, she nodded in assurance to herself before knocking on the wooden door a couple of times.

Not waiting for the invite, she opened the door herself and walked in to face her nightmares.

The older man was seated on his working desk, his eyes fixed on the computer screen. He didn't even look at her way once, causing her to almost question if he even heard the series of knocks and if he is aware of her presence in the room.

She cleared her throat. Still no response.

"A-Appa."

(D-Dad)

A word that should roll off a person's tongue easily was so foreign and heavy for Sivaangi. And by the way his eyes instantly shut at the sound of her calling, the old man didn't enjoy hearing it as well.

Ever since she returned from Melbourne, the older man had put in all efforts to avoid her which was no surprise. Sivaangi made it easier for him too by staying away from him every time he's in vicinity.

Then why did she come all the way to his room now you may ask.

"Thanks for letting me come back. I really missed being in India. Aprom yenaku Melbourne ku return panna ishtam illa, naa ingaye-"

(I don't wish to return to Melbourne-)

Slamming an open book shut, he fiercely interrupted her from talking further. "Kalyanam mudinji 2 days la kelambu. Thevaillatha discussion vendam."

(You leave 2 days after the wedding. This is not up for discussion.)

Sivaangi sighed. She knew this is how it will go. But she tried to push. "Appa please, ivlo years neenga sonna naala thaan naa anga irundhen. It's been almost 10 years already, please let me stay here at least now."

(Dad please, I've stayed there all these years only because you asked me too.)

"10 years or 20 years, sila vishyangal matha mudiyathu. Rakshan romba aasa pattanala nee inga Shalini wedding attend panrathuku allow pannen. That's it. Kalyanam mudinji you need to go back to your life as per normal."

(10 or 20 years, somethings can't be changed. I only let you attend the wedding because Rakshan kept asking for it. After the wedding you need to return to your usual life.)

Clenching her fist, Sivaangi looked at the man that never failed to make her feel like an abomination ever since the world began for her. "Naa yenna thappu pannen? 23 varushama yenna punish panniyachu, ippo vachum sollunga. Naa yenna thappu pannen?"