C H A P T E R 23

After a long time, here you go🤍

Day 1:

Military: Reached?

Doctor: Yes :)

Military: Okay :)

Military: Take care!

Doctor: You too!!

By now she knew the text messages by heart, word by word even. That's how many times she's read them since the morning she arrived in Ooty.

After a tedious day of endless tours around the campsite, repetitive lectures and briefings regarding her duties and a series of lifeless icebreaker games between the volunteers, Sivaangi was pretty much done. 3 games later, she excused herself from the crowd and slipped outside for some peace.

The night fell, and the entire front yard was soaked in black ink. But the darkness did not daunt her. Even though she wasn't looking up at the night sky like she always did, she knew the moon was right there, twinkling with light, mischievously squinting, saying a lot more than hello to her.

And that somehow felt soothing, yet disconcerting at the same time.

Because she knew that thousands of miles away, someone will be sitting by himself outside under the same sky, watching the same moon.

Just that thought alone provoked the sense of loneliness that was already in the air of the silent night.

The sound of the water running from the fountain behind her, the rustle of leaves in the wind, and the laughters coming from inside the guesthouse, she could hear it all.

Everything was going well and everyone seemed to be fine.

Everyone but her.

Sivaangi realised she was the only one who wasn't feeling thrilled about meeting all these medical students and professionals, which was strange considering the fact that Sivaangi had always enjoyed connecting with new people. That's undoubtedly one of the best qualities she possessed, and in fact an important trait that makes her her.

Socialising was Sivaangi's strongest weapon to stave off feelings of emptiness and isolation. She loved the validation she was given each time she brought the fun into the room. For a moment, she would feel like she's someone else, someone who wasn't the disgusting, abandoned, unwanted child. Someone that people loved to be around with, even if for a short while only.

That's how she coped. That's how she lived.

But apparently not anymore. Something just have changed.

Now she couldn't even find an extroverted bone in her and bring it out to action.

Turns out, she preferred to sit by herself outside and use her phone. And no, she wasn't watching any dramas or series like she usually did, she wasn't on Twitter to see some dramas unfold either.

She was still reading the texts between her husband and her over and over again while her fingers just itched to send him another message.

For the record, she had typed out 'I miss you' at least 17 times but not once did she muster enough courage to press the arrow to make sure the message was sent. She typed, she stared at the arrow, she stared some more and she would delete the words. And repeat.

It was an unbreakable cycle that's been going on for the entire day.

Sighing to herself loudly, she gave up and turned off her phone. There was no point in trying to type again for the 18th time because she knew she was not going to send it anyway.