C H A P T E R 6

"Neenga rendu perum yenna panringa inga?" Rakshan questioned after jogging over to them in the crowd.

(What are you two doing here?)

Unable to cook up any stories, Sivaangi ended up telling the truth about Shalini's visit to the hospital.

Rakshan slowly nodded, his eyes still having a glint of suspiciousness as he stared between them. "Naa kuda oru nimisham bayandhuten." He murmured out loud.

(I got worried for a second.)

Frowning, Sivaangi innocently questioned. "Yedhuku bayam? Naanga yenna thaniyava irukom? Naa avaru kuda iruken, avaru yen kuda irukarula?"

(Worry for what? It's not like we're alone. I'm here for him and he's here for me.)

Ashwin who knows his friend a bit too well could tell what was going on in his head. He tried to change the subject, putting him in ease. "Movie ku time aagiduchu, neeyum va machan sendhey polam."

(It's time for the movie, let's go together machan.)

Rakshan shook his head. "Illa da, rendu perum veedu poi serunga. Naa poyi Shalini ah pathu kutitu varen. Nalaki morning seekiram kelambanumla kovil ku, ivlo late ah movie pathutu pona seri varadhu."

(No both of you get back home while I fetch Shalini. It won't be a good idea to watch a movie till late night since tomorrow we're going to the temple very early in the morning.)

Sivaangi let out a whine. "Anna first half mattum pathutu polam please."

(Can we at least watch just the first half?)

"Ayyo cinema yenga poga podhu. Kalyanam mudinji yellarum senthu varalam."

(The movie is not gonna go anywhere. After the wedding, let's all come together and watch.)

The mention of the marriage made Ashwin shift uncomfortably. For a moment the entire plan slipped his mind. Spending the evening with Sivaangi made him forget about the bitter reality that will take place in just a couple of days.

All this while he simply hated the idea of marriage because he knew he isn't cut out for it. But today, he felt a new, profound fear towards it.

Strangely he could not unravel if it was a fear for marriage in general or fear for marrying Shalini in particular.

The heart that he had mentally prepared before stepping into Thodupuzha to undergo the marriage that everyone desperately desired wasn't the same heart anymore. His heart now was secretly craving for a way out of it, and he couldn't tell what caused this change.

This marriage didn't feel unnecessary or unfair now. It just felt plain wrong.

"Pesama odi poirlama?"

(Should we escape together?)

Sivaangi's words that came out of nowhere hit him like an atom bomb, he stared at her with his eyes so wide that his eyeballs could roll out.

"HUH? Yedhu?!" Ashwin exclaimed, his poor heart almost ready to explode anytime.

(What?!)

He was too loud that Rakshan who was a few steps ahead of them turned to shoot a doubtful look while Sivaangi shushed him with annoyance.

"Yedhuku military kathura? Rakshan annan ah kalati vittutu odirlamanu thaana ketan! Ippo pona kuda we can still catch the movie."