C H A P T E R 13

Have a good day all of you!🎈

Ashwin stared with sleepy eyes at the woman who had woken him up from his deep sleep by her loud entrance. He held up the blanket to cover his bare chest, almost pissed at how she intruded his personal space so early in the morning.

Yawning he muttered. "Un moonjalaya mulikanum? Velanguna madhri thaan."

(Why did I have to wake up to your face? My day is ruined.)

"Ashwin please! Yenga aunty States landhu vandhurkanga, avanga yedho rings exchange pannanum apdi ipdinu sollitu irukanga. Adhulam yennala mudiyadhu Ashwin, you've got to help me! Indha wedding ah neengaley stop pannunga!"

(My Aunty from the States is here and she wants us to exchange rings or some thing. There's no way I can do that. Please stop this wedding!)

He clicked his tongue irritably. "Indha ma, naa thaan nethey sonnanla? Inga vandhu solradhalam poyi un veena pona appan ta sollu. Kalangathaley vandhu yen mood ah spoil pannitu irukadha!"

(I told you yesterday already, instead of coming to me go and talk to your useless dad. Stop ruining my moon so early in the morning.)

Shalini shook her head desperately. She would never tolerate someone talking to her in such a demeaning manner but she was really not in a position to demand respect. "Please Ashwin, naa yedhavudhu sonna periya problem ah-"

(Please if I tell him anything, it'll blow up-)

"Seri nee solladha, andha Mark Zuckerberg-"

(Fine you don't do it, call up Mark Zuckerberg-)

"Mark Zacharias!!" She yelled in frustration.

"Adhaan adhaan, avaney thaan. Andha loosu payale phone ah potu vara sollu. Avana vandhu pesa sollu. Love panna theridhula, vandhu pesamatarama?"

(Yeah yeah, that dude. Call up that guy and ask him to come over to talk to your dad. He's brave enough to be in a relationship with you, but he can't get himself to talk to your dad?)

She shook her head helplessly. "Avan vandha problem romba perusa-"

(If he comes the problem will get even worse-)

"Avanuku lam vekkame illaya? Avan love panra ponnu ku innorthan ring poda poran, ivan jolly ah veetula ukkandhutu irupana? Unmailaye ivan unna love panrana?"

(Does he have no dignity? Another guy is about to put a ring on his girl's finger and he's casually sitting at home, waiting?  Are you sure he loves you?)

She glared. "Shut up Ashwin! Theva illama pesathinga!"

(Stop talking unnecessarily!)

He squinted his eyes at the woman that lost every ounce of respect he had for her. "Theva illama vandhu pesitu irukuradhu yaaru?"

(Who's the one who's talking unnecessarily, you or me?)

He grabbed his t-shirt from last night and slipped it on. Then he walked over to her with a smile that riled her up. "Shalu ma, yen kitta kenju onnum aaga poradhu illa. Nee annikey idha matter, yenaku help pannu apdi sollirndha, sathiyama help pannirpen. Yeppo nee Sivaangi ah gaali pannanumnu nenachiyo, unaku lam konjam kuda sympathy paka mudiyathu."

(Stop begging me, it is not going to work. If you had directly come to me, told me about your little secret and asked for my help, I would have offered to help in every possible way. But the moment you tried to make Sivaangi as a scapegoat, there's no way I feel any sympathy towards you.)

She eyed him with doubtful eyes. "Sivaangi yepdi pona ungaluku yenna?!"

(Why do you care what happens to Sivaangi?)