Chapter 1: Breaking the News

"You wished to see me, father?" Loki stepped into the throne room. His presence made Odin involuntarily scoff.

"Your mother and I have been worried," Odin started. He looked down at Loki with his one good eye for a reaction. Loki simply took another step forward and tilted his head.

"Worried about what?" He inquired with a smirk. Odin sat up straight in his throne and cleared his throat.

"We're worried that your mischievous tendencies and ambitions are growing too strong for Asgard's comfort." The Allfather explained sternly.

"It appears you have forgotten what I am the god of, father." Loki laughed dryly.

"This is no laughing matter, son. I'm arranging a marriage between you and the princess of Alfheim. Perhaps she will knock some sense into you," Odin growled from his seat. Loki opened his mouth to protest but was interrupted by the doors behind him bursting open.

He turned around to see the king of Alfheim who he recognized from previous parties and council meetings along with you, leading the way. Loki hadn't seen you before and he was certainly intrigued.

"Prince Loki, Allfather," you dipped into a quick curtsey, "my apologies for being late. You know how it is with men and asking for directions." You side eyed your father and elbowed him in the side.

"State your name, residence and occupation," Odin ordered.

"Y/n Idunadottir of Alfheim. Princess of Alfheim and goddess of life," you responded shortly.

"Do you know why I summoned you here?" Odin questioned.

"No, your majesty." You replied as you took a look around the throne room.

"You are here to be a part of an arranged marriage with my youngest, Loki. You'll of course get a month to court before the ceremony." Odin informed you.

"What?! I thought you needed maybe an extra soldier for war but an arranged marriage? I'm not ready for that kind of commitment, your majesty." You spat your words out so quick they almost sounded like gibberish.

"Silence!" Odin yelled, "you will be staying on Asgard, I will have guards deliver your personal belongings. Loki take her to your quarters," Odin commanded.

"Yes, father." Loki nodded and placed his cold hand on your upper back. You walked with him down a winding corridor until he suddenly stopped.

"Look, I don't want this either, but we have no choice." He reminded you.

"No offense to you, but I wish we did." You responded. He continued to walk down the corridor with you trailing behind him.

"None taken, I completely understand." He whispered before unlocking a white concrete door with snake sculptures and etchings. He pushed the doors open to reveal a large royal room decorated in blacks, golds and greens.

"Why are you being so friendly?" You asked cautiously and stepped into his room.

"Well I have to be nice to my only chance at love," he joked.

"Only chance? Please, I'm sure you have women practically throwing themselves at you." You retorted.

"Yes but it's not for the right reasons. They only want to get close to Thor through me, or they want my money..status. You understand, you're a princess." He hopes you understood.

"Of course I understand. I found love with the goddess of art. I was so happy until she um well she passed," you told him quietly.

    "I'm sorry for your loss, Y/n." He comforted you. To change the subject, he gave you a tour of his room that somehow extended to a tour of the palace.

    "It amazes me that everything here is made of gold," you gestured to the palace and out the window where there was a gorgeous city of gold.

    "It is magnificent," he agreed, "now we have a feast to get to, we do not have to act as a couple." He told you and started walking you down the hallway to the dining hall.

    "Thank the stars, we're barely even friends." You laughed.

    "Exactly, friends." He stook out his hand which you shook jokingly before emerging into the banquet hall.

*

So I wrote 50% of this book in one day :)

Originally published : July 25, 2021
Edited : April 21, 2024

Oli <3