Chapter 10: Unpacking

"Who's this?" Loki asked as he held up a picture of a woman in a Valkyrie uniform.

     "That is my mother," you informed him and plucked the frame from his hands. You placed it gently on your nightstand and wiped away any unwanted smudges.

"She's a Valkyrie?" He inquired.

"Was a Valkyrie," you correct him. His face faltered and he gave you a sympathetic look.

"Don't look at me like that," you scolded and continued to pull items from the boxes.

"If you don't mind me asking, how did she die?" He questioned. His voice was genuine and soft unlike its usual cool, sarcastic tone.

"It was an accident," you replied shortly.

"What was?" He pressed.

"Her death. It was an accident," you whispered.

"Well yeah, they usually are." He chuckled dryly.

"Yep," you avoided his original question and started to unpack your clothing into his wardrobe. He watched you, confused. His mind raced with every possible reason as to why you were avoiding his question.

"I can feel you staring at me," you shuddered as you continued to hang up clothes.

"My apologies," he responded and continued to unpack your art supplies and knick-knacks.

"Do you really want to know?" You finally sighed.

"What?" He asked.

"How she died," you reminded him.

"Oh, yes." He admitted.

"Before I was the goddess of life, I was the goddess of deterioration," you started, "the exact opposite of my mother who was the goddess of rejuvenation. One day when I was around 980 (14 in human years) her and my father woke me in the middle of the night. She had to got to battle for Asgard of course but without thinking I gave her hug. I touched her skin, with no control over my powers and killed her.." You told him carefully, gauging his reaction at each word you spoke.

Loki didn't respond. He didn't know how.

"I swear it was an accident," you repeated as tears began to form in your eyes.

"I believe you, darling." He finally spoke. Without asking you wrapped your arms around and buried your head in his shoulder. He froze and looked down at you. His arms found themselves reciprocating and snaking around your waist.

"I'm sorry," you whispered.

"What for?" He whispered back.

"I didn't mean to hug you," you admitted and pulled away from the embrace.

"It's completely understandable." He assured you. You avoided eye contact as you wiped the tears from your eyes.

"You're the only one who knows. Other than my father, of course." You informed him.

"What about your brothers?" He inquired.

"They think she died in battle, as does the rest of the kingdom." You sniffled.

"I'm Jotun!" He blurted it out. His eyes widened and he clasped his hand over his mouth.

"What?" You tilted your head. He sighed and uncovered his mouth, "I'm a frost giant." He told you.

"Okay, and I'm a light elf," you laughed.

"Were you not taught about frost giants?" He asked.

"Of course I was. I was taught that every creature deserves love and respect. Including frost giants." You replied. Now tears were forming in his eyes.

"I was taught that I was a horrid monster." His voice cracked.

"I guess we're both monsters," you joked and wrapped your arms around him again.

"You're not a monster, darling." He told you firmly.

"Then neither are you," you replied, matching his tone. He let out a soft chuckle and allowed his head to fall onto your shoulder.

*

I know this chapter is kind of short, sorry

Olivia <3