Chapter 2: Horse Race

Loud chattering of royalty and Asgardians filled your ears. It all overwhelmed you. Loki gave you an assuring smile before guiding you to the table and pulling a chair out for you. He sat down besides you and started to introduce you to who you assumed were his friends.

    "Thor, this is Y/n. She is my..er.." Loki struggled.

    "I'm his betrothed, nice to meet you," you greeted Thor.

    "Loki you're engaged?!" Thor exclaimed.

    "It's an arranged marriage situation, but technically yes." Loki explained carefully. He looked to you for confirmation only for you to nod.

    "We're simply friends being forced to marry," you jested.

    "Well welcome to the family, regardless," Thor boomed.

    "So whats Asgard like? Give me the deets, who do we hate? Who do we love?" You asked Thor.

    "Ok ok, we love Lady Sif and the Warriors Three," he pointed to his friends.

    "But we absolutely hate our mother's lady-in-waiting. She keeps trying to seduce us," Loki snarled at a woman who was sitting close to the queen.

    "Yes! She's awful," a woman who you assumed was Sif added.

    "Heimdall is a love, hate relationship." Loki continued.

    "You're the only who feels that way, after that bet," Thor protested.

     "Whatever, enough about us. What was your life on Alfheim like, princess?" Loki questioned.

    "Well it was similar to Asgard. You know, feasts every night, parties, royal drama. I used race horses with my brothers which my father hated because 'it's not very lady-like' but I would also paint with Ava and of course we would compete." You told three about Alfheim and everyone you knew and loved.

    "You like racing horses?" Sif leaned across the table.

    "I love it!" You laughed nervously.

    "Okay, come on." She stood up and gestured for you to follow.

"I beg your pardon?" You replied.

"We're going to race horses, come on." She requested. A wide smile grew on your face as you followed her out of the dining hall.

"I'm intrigued," Thor whispered and looked at Loki.

"As am I, lets go," Loki agreed and they both stood up to follow you out to the stables.

"Okay this one is Midnight, he's Malcom, that's Pepper and that is Jonathan." Sif introduced you to the horses.

"I like Midnight," you smiled and reached up to pet the steed's nose. He nuzzled into you hand and let out a small 'neigh'.

"You can't race that one, he's Loki's," Sif warned you.

"My lady can race Midnight, if she wishes." Loki announced his presence from the gate.

"Are you positive? I don't want to overstep," you turned to face Loki who was casually leaning by the apple trees.

"Of course," Loki nodded. You thanked him profusely before leading Midnight out of his stall.

"Who's a pretty horse?" You asked before conjuring a golden apple and offering it to him.

"You can do magic?" Sif observed as Midnight munched softly on the crunchy apple.

"I can do it to an extent. The apple I simply inherited from my mother, Iduna. She was the goddess of rejuvenation and keeper of magic apples of immorality," you explained.

"Wait, you just made Midnight immortal?" Thor asked, impressed.

"Of course, such a pretty horse deserves the best life," you smiled and stroked the top of the horses head.

"Are you immortal?" Loki inquired.

"No," you chuckled, "much like you, my lifespan is 5,000 years. I wish not to become immortal until I'm certain my life will be fulfilling." You responded.

"Alright, now shall we race?" Sif changed the subject and hopped onto Malcom.

"We shall," you laughed and carefully mounted Midnight.

"He knows the track so you won't even have to steer," Loki advised you before you took off. Midnight was fast. He cut through the spring breeze. Luckily, the world around you was still clear. You took in the scenery. Each tree you passed was like a greeting. The crunch of the leaves filled your ears, and you could easily spot the rainbow bridge in the distance. Across that and behind the far side of the palace was a small village that was practically invisible compared to the towering gold city behind it.

Each detail of the forrest seemed perfect. The way the lake glimmered under the full moon and how perfectly the trees created and overhang above you, made you finally accept that this was now your home.

But your joy came to a halt. Midnight suddenly stopped, his hooves frantically burying themselves into the dirt. You flung off of his back and splashed into the sparkling lake. Your layered dress ripped on a tree branch and you sputtered in attempts to remove the water from your mouth.

*

My boyfriend and I broke up ✌🏻

Olivia <3