Prologue

A mysterious yet familiar silhouette of a man came into view as my steps quickened. Funnily, a peculiar eagerness to be held in his arms swept over me.

"I should have known that you were toying with me ever since the beginning..."

My hastened pace came to a halt as another person caught my eye. A woman, who was holding a conversation with that mysterious man.

"Do you want to know the truth?"

"The truth? All this time, you have kept your marriage from me and yet you're asking if I might want to know the truth?"

"What is truth, Nick? Do you know what it means to me? No, never will I believe in you. I would be a fool if I were to place my trust in you once more."

An unknowing ache crept into my soul as I continued to listen into their conversation. I felt the rush of her emotions. The pain of brokenness and betrayal hit me like a train. As the longing to console her grew immensely, my footsteps started steering towards her direction.

Suddenly, the scene shifted.

"I am in love with you, Abbey. And it all started with you catching my attention ever since that close encounter in the market. Since then, I have had eyes for no one except you."

Abbey?

That name stirred evocative feelings, yet it felt as if there was a barrier withholding the memories that threatened to be unleashed.

"For goodness sake, there are plenty of fishes in the sea. Why settle for one?"

I turned round to locate the other voice, one that sounded older and deeper.

Why settle for a man that betrayed you for his family."

"Wake up, Abbey! He has never loved you."

"You were just a pawn for him to uphold his family name!"

Tears broke through as I experienced her sorrow and spirit crushed by the weight of bewilderment and betrayal.

"Go ahead, Nicholas! You wouldn't want to keep your bride waiting, do you?"

The raw emotions of agony in her eyes and expression that was contorted in torment spoke to me as she forced herself to stand strong while bidding farewell to her lover.

"Then can you promise me something too, Abbey."

This time, the man that was now before me, spoke in a soft and affectionate voice, breaking the dam that withheld my memories. The features that I knew all too well, one that could be recognized with just a mere touch.

"Anything."

I found myself replying, having no control over my speech.

"Promise me that you will forgive me no matter what happens."

No. Please don't leave me again.

"I promise."

No.

I covered my mouth, that was not what I wanted to say.

"I love you."

He turned away and began walking in the opposite direction.

Adrenaline coursed through my veins, sending me off into a sprint as I struggled to get ahold of his sleeves. Despite much effort, the distance between us only seemed to grow wider and farther.