Fifteen

"Mom!" The sound of my mother's voice caused me to jerk back as I saw her advancing towards us.

"Oooo, is that him? Is he the one you told me about?" She cooed, interlocking her arm with mine while eyeing Nathan from his head to his feet. "You didn't tell me that he was this handsome!" As the embarrassment grew, I was certain that it didn't take long for my cheeks to enhance into a tone of a raspberry.

"I sure hope I am he." Nathan let out a chortle before showing off an alluring smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs Winters."

"It's nice to meet you too, Nathan. Ava has told me all about you-"

"Mom..." I grumbled, goggling at her in total disbelief when she attempted to mention the interrogation from that night. An absolute betrayal.

"Oh, hush now, honey." Feeling the tight grip on my forearm, it was undoubtedly true that my mom has been struck by Nathan's charms. "By the way, are you busy this evening?"

My eyes widened at her question, aware of what she was about to ask. Ensuring that I was out of view and a width away from my mom, I furiously shook my head and waved my hands at the side, hoping that Nathan would get the message.

Unfortunately, it was all for naught when he completely ignored the signals that were sent his way.

"Not that I'm aware of."

You little-

"Then please, join us for dinner!"

"Mom, he probably has something on. We shouldn't bother-"

"I would love to."

No!

Nathan's interjection and acceptance caused my mom to beam in delight before she was seen scurrying back into the house, probably to prepare another set of cutleries. "Dinner's ready! I'll see you kids inside."

When the grip from my arm was finally let loose, another one came; this time interlacing between my fingers.

"I saw what you did there," Nathan said, pulling me by the waist and into his chest. I would have melted if it was just the two of us, but with my parents just a few meters away, the sirens were screaming hysterically in my head.

"Did what?" Feigning innocence, I turned my head away to avoid his eyes. It wasn't because that I didn't want him to meet my parents, I was just afraid that maybe this was going a little too fast. Since we weren't even in a relationship, but are platonically in an employer-employee one, it did feel awkward to be thinking that you're bringing your boss home for dinner with your mom thinking that he is your boyfriend.

This man before me was slowly integrating into my life, to becoming someone that holds an important position in my heart. As such, another part of me was worried that the interrogation from my parents would scare him away.

"You know what." He whispered, prompting a series of goosebumps to form. "You don't have to worry about me. I have never been so clear in my life about how I feel towards someone."

The sincereness in his words washed away all contemplation. I was tongue-tied as I beheld the intensity of his voice and stare. It was as if I was about to be swallowed whole.

"Uhm...Let go," prying his fingers away from mine only escalated the strength of his grip. "They'll see."

"Then let them see. I'm done running away."

"What do you mean?"

"Exactly what I meant." Nathan replied. "Let's head in. I'm famished."

"Hey dad!" His attention quickly drifted towards Nathan, "this is Nathan. Nathan, dad." I gestured between the two. The pause after the introduction stilled the air. The only thing that could be heard was my mom setting up the table in the dining area.