Twenty-Two

The man cocked his head to the side and eyed curiously at me, letting his gaze wander from the head to my feet.

"Who's Fredricks?" He asked while he descended the stairs, reaching the ground floor as he made his way to me. "The name's Felton." 

By now, he was standing so close to me that I had to crane my neck to look at him, his gaze not leaving mine. In fact, there was something peculiar in those eyes of his as they seem to hold a deep emotion.

"Ava Winters. Pardon me if this is too forward." He spoke softly, as his long and slender fingers stroked my cheek. "But have we met before?"

His question took me aback, prompting his brows to furrow as he studied me inquisitively; as if I was a rare specimen.

What am I to say to him?

Oh yes!

We were in fact best buddies in the Victorian Era before you decided to trample on my trust.

I sighed mentally. That is not going to work. For now, the past is the past; and the future is the present. It is best that things are left the way they should be.

"I don't think so," sounding confident in my response.

"Then why do I feel sad when I see you?" He breathed, as sorrow laced his demeanor; his gaze significantly softened. "Why is my heart aching so much?"

I missed Fredricks. Back then when I had looked up on his name, there were close to no details on him nor the Ainsworth family, except that he remained unmarried until his death. Funnily enough, there was no hatred for me towards him; only disappointment. But that disappeared as soon as a year had passed.

I wondered if he missed me just as much as I missed him. My friend and my comforter during the tough times that I had to endure, I wondered what happened to him when I was gone. I wondered if he blamed himself for the things that happened.

"I forgive you..." I whispered. For many nights, I longed to tell him that everything is okay now. And that I too, forgive him. 

Drawing him into a hug, I felt that I have met the closure I needed with Fredricks. And soon, he too, had his arms surrounding my back as I heard a few sniffles come from him.

"Why do I feel like I have done something terrible to you?" His whimpers led tears to instantly fall free from my eyes; and his, to wet the fabric on my back as he clutched me tighter. Stretching upwards, I softly pat his head and hushed his wails.

"It's okay now...it's okay..." I repeatedly uttered those words.

You must have been hurting so badly while I was gone.

I'm sorry, Fredricks...

I'm sorry for putting you through this pain despite you being there for me for more times than I can count.

I'm so sorry...

"Uh...Is this the new trend of how youngsters greet each other these days?"

Fredricks, or should I say Felton and I pulled apart and wiped the emotions from our expressions. Hugo, who was now carrying 3 different-sized boxes, peered over to the two of us while executing the most dumbfounded expression.

"Do you guys know each other?" He questioned, settling the boxes on the table.

"No." I quickly replied.

"But it feels as if we've known each other for a long time." Felton added, breaking into a huge smile, which only caused more question marks to appear before Hugo.