Eleven

My eyes bulged out in shock, flabbergasted at the price tag on the menu.

Seriously, when you said better food, I didn't mean food that could burn a meteorite hole through my wallet.

You need to stop flexing your wealth on commoners like me.

"So, what are you getting?" Nathan asked, as he flipped through the menu.

"Uhmm...water?" I chuckled nervously, reaching for the free-of-charge beverage on the table. "You caught me on the day when I'm coincidentally on my diet."

"It's my treat. Just order as you like." A low chortle travelled from Nathan while I, on the other hand, returned him with a slight frown.

Raising my eyebrows, I looked dubiously at him. "And may I know the reason behind why you're treating me?"

"Does an employer need to have a reason to treat their employee well?" I felt a little disappointment creep in, but with him over here, I wasn't going to let him have that satisfaction.

"But it's still really rare that an employer would have a one-on-one lunch date with an employee." I shot back, not realising that I might have used a better word than 'date'.

"So, you would have preferred that we were something more? I wouldn't mind at all. We could take this as a date." He grinned, the smirk evidently growing wider. "An exception just between the both of us that I know you'd be too thrilled out of your mind."

This bugger.

"Piss off! What makes you think that I'm 'too thrilled out of my mind' to be seated here with you, hmm?"

This man infuriates me. And if lunch doesn't start, I might already be full of exasperation.

With my attitude towards my boss, it's a wonder why I haven't been fired.

Then again, it would be a miracle if someone had the patience to listen to this egoistic twit.

"Relax." Nathan joked, "It's a celebration for your pay raise."

"Raise? But I didn't manage to get him to sign the deal? Besides, even if he were to agree to the deal, it must have been because of the book from Blaire." If there was one thing about me, I abhor taking things that are not mine. In this case, I couldn't seal the deal and fulfil the bet I made with Nathan. As much as it pains me to lose the raise, it was not a hard one to reject.

"Don't be too hasty to judge just based on what you've seen. Besides, if it weren't for you, Hugo wouldn't have been able to hear what Blaire felt."

"I was just speaking from what I feel. Even though it's true that Blaire did love him so much that she stuck with him regardless of what he did, she might not have felt the same way as I did."

"Trust me. I'm confident that she felt that same thing as you did." Nathan assured.

"Uhm, if you say so..."

I was unsure as to why Nathan held such confidence in me. He made me hot and cold; quick to stir up my temper, and at the same time, the one that extinguished the fire. In truth, I felt at ease when I was with him; protected and secure.

"Have you decided on the type of water you'll be having?"

I change my mind. He's a walking nightmare.

"Why would I pass up on the perfect opportunity if you're the one treating?" I responded, not concealing the immense irritation that leaked from that sweet smile of mine. "There's still time to back out from the offer, boy. You're sure you don't want to do that?"