Twenty-Six

Nathan's POV

"It's done." I spat, sneering at Victor who seemed to be standing victoriously with Bella, a woman that had far too many scandals around the office for me to bear. Yet, there was no way that I could touch her. She was one of Victor's henchman. His spy whom I had just recently found out; who has her head drifting the clouds, thinking that she has a chance with me.

A promiscuous woman.

Everything was his plan to have the jewel stolen by Bella, while I, simply had no choice as he dangled Ava's lifeline before my eyes.

"Good. Now all you have to do is wed Harrison." Victor cheered, clapping his hands before signaling for Bella to leave.

There was nothing that could make me forget the look on her face. It was as if a knife prodded and stabbed through my body again and again and again. I was a scum, powerless and weak; with no way to protect her, not even from myself. There was no way that I could be redeemed.

"How do you know what is and isn't going to harm me? How do you know that aren't doing that right now?"

She was right. Just as much as my actions broke her, she broke me as well. I was welled-up in misery as I saw her swallow whatever pride she had, to bear the humiliation that was inflicted by myself.

"I understand. I won't bother you again. I wish you two all the happiness."

Those words were like a nightmare; the same ones back from the time with Amelia.

Scold me. Hit me. Do whatever you want to me.

As long as it could relief you from a little pain, I am willing to bear it all; anything but seeing you walk away. 

Yes, I was a selfish prick. A man whose feelings held true to the woman he loved but was assaulted with situations that hindered all possibilities of a happy ending.

"Did you do this to my father?" I questioned, remembering the tough journey that my parents had to endure; one dead and another left in the asylum. Now, it seems that history was repeating itself; with Victor puppeteering the backstage.

"Yes." Victor simply replied, his face absent from any remorse. "I killed your father."

"You bastard!" 

Before I could land a punch on him, I was hit with another, a heavy strike across my cheek. The brawny man dressed in black towered me as I fell to the ground. He was always a quiet individual, but nonetheless, Victor's dog. 

Blood dripped from my lip, a deep cut inflicted from the punch and my teeth.

I guess this is my payback for slapping her. A cheap one.

I scoffed before glaring back at Victor from where I was.

"Stupid boy. Do you know what your father did?" Venom dripped forth, causing Victor to bend to my eye level. "He was the one that made my beautiful daughter, to who she is today. For years, that rat has been slipping a drug into her morning routine, saying that it was a health supplement. It wasn't until later when I visited her that I knew about this pill she was consuming. My suspicions were affirmed when the drug was tested for small amounts of hallucinogens; not detrimental to the body, but if accumulated, it was enough to make a person mad for the rest of their lives."

"For a few months, I dug deep, discovering just how much money that rat had stolen out of the profits of the company. And so, I gave him a choice. Either to surrender whatever he has, his wealth, marriage and you to me, or..."

"Poisoning." I said, finishing his sentence. Victor nodded at my reply before standing up. "You're lying. My father is not who you say he is." I argued, adamant on who he was.