Four

The jitters of starting a job at a new place never ceases to overwhelm me as I reported to my designated apartment. Exiting out of the elevators, I was greeted with 2 glass doors on opposite ends, one that read 'Office' and the other, 'Tinker Space.' As I pushed through the glass doors situated on the right-hand side, I was greeted with neatly arranged cubicles that were designed in the shape of an 'S', with one person on each side. It was a design that provided both space and privacy best-suited to my level of comfortability.

"Hello! You must be Ava." A middle-aged woman who looked like she was in her early forties, exclaimed, while approaching me with a huge smile upon her face.

"It's nice to meet you," She greeted. "I'm Susan and welcome to the design floor. I've been tasked by Timothy to show you around the place." She continued.

"Ah yes! He told me about you." I responded, remembering that he had mentioned her name if I ever decided to accept the job.

"That's great! Come on, time is of the essence!" She clapped twice before leading me out of the office and into the tinker room, before showing me my work desk that was kept in a neat and pristine state.

"Now, I'm sure you are aware of what Estelle does?" She questioned. I, who was clearly aware that she was testing my competence on the specialty of Estelle, couldn't help but smirk subtly upon hearing her inquiry.

"Absolutely. Estelle is known for their many cuts of unique and expensive diamonds. But none of them, not even one, is able to top the crimson solitaire which is only released once every year. And only one lucky and wealthy customer can possess that unique design that cannot be found in any other parts of the world."

"That's right. Because of its rarity, every year, world famous jewelry designers bid for the opportunity to design. After that, well, you could imagine how much a single design could boost their fame."

"Yeah." I replied, acknowledging every word that was spoken. It was indeed a fierce battle between renowned designers for a chance to showcase their talent to the world. However, the issue was that there was no set date for the release of the crimson solitaire. Nobody knew when it was to be showcased except the CEO.

"What about the company's history? How much do you know about it?" In truth, not much was revealed about the history of this company except about how successful it became in just a few years.

"Well, I'm not sure about that, but rumor has it that the predecessors of Crosby's family stumbled upon an old mine. A mine that people thought have been completely emptied until a hidden shaft was revealed to contain tons of diamonds of utmost rarity. As such, it taken over by the Crosby family and I guess that marked the start of their booming business."

"Hmmm, well I can neither confirm nor deny your answer as no one really knows about the history of this company as well. But it is nice to listen in on a different perspective." She grinned while leading me back to the office area before standing before a cubicle that had a wide-paned window situated on its side.

"This is your desk that you'll be using. And like the same as everyone is this room, your task is to fulfill the customer's request in designing their rings before delivering it to them." She instructed while pointing to the stack of files. "Normally, you would have to uphold company policy by meeting with the customers to draft and confirm the final design, but since you're new, you can handle the task of constructing the finalized designs."

"Got it!" I replied, sounding a little too excited. Although I was grateful for my internship experiences that has led me to be equipped to handle customers, it was still a chore to handle the client's needs' daily, let alone the nasty ones. So, you could say that I was grateful for this task.