Twenty-Three

"Welcome back, Av." A woman, a little older than me greeted.

"H-hello...Q-Quinn?" I replied awkwardly, sounding more like a question than a salutation.

"Yes," she responded, smiling warmly yet sadly at me. "You take your time, okay? Derrick and I will help you whenever we can. Just focus on taking up lighter projects for now."

I nodded, recalling that Derrick was her husband as soon as I saw his face.

It has been a week since I was discharged from the hospital. It didn't help that the intense headaches would come attacking me during the midday while I was trying to recall what happened over the past five years. However, though it was an arduous process, bits and pieces of my memory were flowing back to me.

It still came as a huge shock that I would choose a profession as a jewelry designer as I was sure that I had my mind set on being in the healthcare industry. I wondered for days pertaining to this decision I made, only to be greeted with no answers. Furthermore, it had been a challenge to remember who that man was.

Nathan, was it?

I have yet to see him ever since that episode in the hospital. Mom kept telling me about how sweet and caring he was to me. But looking at how things are going, I beg to differ. If he truly was my boyfriend, why didn't he visit me when I was discharged?

I shook my head free from all the muddling questions as I reached my desk, only to see  plenty of files that were piled up high. It was lucky that I have recalled the memories on how to settle these paperwork, as well as a few basic techniques on constructing various jewellery. However, looking at the number of folders, I was going to clock in for some additional overtime hours before I could start any tinkering.

Folding my sleeves, I jumped straight ahead, sifting through the sheets of documents and invoices as I typed vigorously over the keyboard. The noises around the office dulled as the only thing that I could focus on was the screen ahead of me. My persistence to clear at least three-quarters of this stack had led me to neglect my lunch hours. Yet, I didn't feel any hunger at all.

"Here, we got you a little something." Quinn said, passing me a sandwich and a cup of coffee. "You need to rest, Ava. You've been working nonstop for the past six hours."

"I'm alright," I replied, receiving the food gratefully. "By the way, how much is this?" I asked. Despite their act of kindness, I did not want to take anyone financially for granted; a part of me felt embarrassed and a little guilty.

"Oh! It's fine." She responded, fumbling her dress. "Most importantly is that if you're going to work through the night, it's best for you to take a little break." I smiled, tearing the clear plastic before biting on the sandwich, an indicator that I was complying with her instructions.

After a short ten-minute break, I resumed back to work for another three hours before I could hear the shuffling of feet and goodbyes being exchanged. Seeing the other colleagues leave their desks as they skipped towards the elevators made me clench in jealousy.

That would have been me if I didn't have my head cracked open.

It didn't take long before Quinn and Derrick left their desks, leaving me alone in this huge office. Sighing, I closed and rubbed my eyes, worn out from the hours of staring at the screen. Nonetheless, I was relieved. 

What I thought would take two days to complete, was accomplished within nine hours. It was a grand achievement. But seeing the piles of blueprints I have left; I knew that I could only construct two simple-designed accessories.

I can do this!

Slapping myself on the cheeks in hopes that I'll possess newfound alertness, I made my way over to the pantry to get a cup of coffee before proceeding to the design area; switching on the machines before taking a big gulp of caffeine.