Twenty

Prioritizing the completion of the company's clients, the afternoon was well spent on tinkering through various blueprints. As the gem was meticulously adjusted to sit comfortably on the band, a knock resounded off my office door. With my back still facing the door, I continued to tilt the stone until I was satisfied with its position.

"Who is it?" I asked, hearing the door open as the person treaded in; footsteps drawing nearer to where I sat. A chest pressed against my back as two arms stretched out to pull me into an embrace.

"We're going to be late if you don't stop working on that necklace." The smell of him surrounded me while he pressed his lips against the crook of my neck, the cushion of his lips and breath tickling me, prompting me to set the jewellery down for fear of letting my work go to waste.

"Alright, alright. Just hold on for a minute." Nathan pulled away, allowing me to place the necklace neatly in the box. I proceeded to clear the workstation from the instruments used, packing them into their rightful place before switching off the working lights. Reaching for my coat and belongings, I strolled over to Nathan and entwined my fingers with his, an action that became so natural to me.

"Where are we going?" I asked, noticing that Nathan had taken the wrong turn.

"I'm just going to pick up a little something." He answered, parking his car in front of a florist shop. When the engine came to a halt, he withdrew his car keys and unbuckled his seat belt. "Wait here."

Within a minute of entering the shop, Nathan came sprinting back to the car with a bouquet of flowers. The sweet scent of pink lilies decorated with stalks of lavender and baby's breath, added a vibrant tone to this black-furnished vehicle.

"Here, hold this. They're not for you, by the way." He simply said before starting the engine once more.

"Ouch, and here I thought that I'm the luckiest girl in the world; that my boyfriend would shower me with flowers." I teased.

"Well, I have an entire lifetime to make you the luckiest girl in the world." I rolled my eyes upon hearing his smug comment. "But now, it's your parents that I have to please and win over."

With what my parents said the night before, it was clear that they have already accepted Nathan as my boyfriend. However, a part of me felt that I didn't want Nathan to be too content over the fact that he had already won them over.

"Good luck with that."

"Luck? Honey, I do not need luck. I just need you by my side."

"My goodness, stop being such a cringe!" I slapped his arm, burying my face into my palms as the heat began to spread from the cheeks to other places.

"But you love it." He commented, causing him to laugh at my reaction.

"Just focus on the road, dummy." I snapped, switching on the radio before singing to the melody.

"Ava..."

"What?"

"Has anyone ever told you that you are an awful singer?" Nathan sniggered, prompting me to glare at him.

"Oh shush! I'm a woman of many talents but it just so happens that singing isn't one of them." I retaliated, knowing that perhaps I was just a 'jack of all trades but a master of none.'

"Oh really? Like what kind of talents?" He questioned while the car finally approached my house.

"Like... jumping out of the car while you're parking!" Leaping out, I made a dash towards the door, only to be hauled back in his grasp as he held the bouquet in the other grip.