Sixteen

"What do you think about this?" Hugo passed 3 pieces of paper, depicting the Crimson Solitaire designs. It wasn't even a day before I received his call. The dark eyebags hinted that he must have worked through the night, with a faint smell of caffeine from his breath.

With my attention on the drawings, it was clear to see the immense potential Hugo had that made him who he was today. It was beautiful. The clean lines that composed the jewellery set were remarkable, each with such detail and precision that would only permit a skilled designer to construct.

The rings, made of two parts, carrying a sophisticated yet simple design. One of it, whose width seemed thicker, was set in a laced pattern, adorned with a larger round-cut diamond in the middle and two smaller ones on each of its sides. The other that was drawn on the top, looked thinner, resembling a crown; arranged with three leaf-shaped diamonds in the middle followed by three smaller diamonds that accompanied each side. 

The earrings that were shaped like a chandelier, carried a mix of both Crimson and clear diamonds. The extravagance and elegance it possessed were sure to increase the wearer's statute. 

As for the necklace, it was undoubtedly going to be the prime of the show. No other words spoken would do any justice; you need only to see to believe it.

So, this is what a world-class designer is like.

It seems like I have a long way to go.

I always felt that just being a jewellery designer was enough. Sure, I had the passion for it, but it was only up to a point where I was satisfied with just being able to earn my keep and comply with customer's requests. But now, seeing how exquisite the design was, the drive to succeed and do more, lit a small spark.

"Wow. It's beautiful..." I wasn't exaggerating to say that I was in awe. In fact, there was growing anticipation and excitement to see the final product.

"Thank you. If everything is in order, I need you to collect the stones from Nathan."

"Isn't there a need to get approval for the designs first?" I asked. With a project this big, an inspection of the design must be conducted, let alone surveyed for any possible changes.

"Nathan told me that there will be no need for that over the phone. He says that when I deem that it's ready, he needs to only have the copies as a reference." Hugo informed. Hearing the confidence Nathan has for Hugo, only struck me with further admiration for his designing skills; where there was no need for conducting any checks. Or perhaps it was only because they knew each other?

Nonetheless, my work remains as a deliverywoman. "Understood! Then I'll get right onto it." Packing the sketches into my bag, I slipped the handle over my shoulder, sipping the last mouthful of tea before heading for the door.

"How's Nathan and yourself?" I could feel Hugo smile as he said this, prompting me to smirk in return as I remembered last night.

Would it be okay if I called you mine?

"With the look on your face, it seems like everything's going well. Or did something good happen?" I giggled, nodding in reply; probably appearing like a madwoman. 

"That's really good. I wish you two all the happiness."

Though there was sorrow, I could feel the genuineness and care that he had for Nathan, and it made me overjoyed to see that apart from me, there was someone that Nathan could rely on.

"Thank you, Hugo." I thanked, "I'd best be going now. I'll see you later!" I stepped out of the house, waving him goodbye.

"See you!"