Twenty-Nine

This was the night that I died.

Alice was no more and so was Nathan, who would soon belong to another. I was in a mess, my thoughts in a muddle as I struggled to make sense of it all. It was as if I had been cast into a deep ocean, fatigue from keeping myself afloat. All because of a stupid mistake, my life was destined for misery. There was nothing else I could desire other than the urge to run away.

"Just like me, your daughter will live a life of false comfort, to suffer the betrayal of her lover. Through many lifetimes, she will relive the same torment without any relief. Never will she get the taste of true happiness but only the comfort of constant pain and suffering."

"No. No more." I said adamantly as I stood up from the bed, feeling the sting from the sprain that shot up my spine; paling in comparison to what my heart was tolerating.

"I will live my life the way I want it to be." Biting back on the physical and mental toll, I reached for my phone and sent a quick text before tucking Alice under the covers.

Grabbing my keys, I limped towards the door of my bedroom, taking in the peaceful silence as I took one last look at her before shutting the door.

"Goodbye, Alice."

The night that swallowed the house in pitch darkness seemed different from the usual. Perhaps, it was the unveiled truth that became the light; shining forth within me. 

Yes, I was hurting, but there was a small sense of comfort; and it was all thanks to Alice. Now, I possessed a newfound strength, a fervor to make things right once and for all.

The moon gleam and shone down the empty streets, while I took small and steady steps to the park; an eerie yet calming effect as the chilly breeze whiffed across my skin, sending a series of goosebumps to appear.

Slowly but surely, the park came into view. 

The crickets resonated louder than ever as I settled on the bench and stared at the water that sparkled under this moonlit night. I drew a breath before exhaling while I leaned backward. 

For the first time in five years, I was finally surrounded in serenity amidst those bustling thoughts of mine.

"Ava."

The heavy thuds that ambled along the sand tore my attention away from the scenic view as he arrived, looking as stunning as ever in his tux. Despite what he did, I couldn't help but smile as I gazed upon his face. I guess the intensity of my passion for him would always prevail over our ordeals.

"Sit down." I invited.

His heavy pants and disheveled hair appeared as though he had sprinted from a faraway place just to get here. His steps slowed as he approached me while I scooted over, making sure not to put my weight on the sprained leg. 

Nathan, who seemed to have taken notice of this, crouched down and removed my shoe before placing my foot on his thigh.

"It's all my fault." He muttered while massaging the affected area. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright. I'm fine." I assured, instantly relaxing under his healing touch as I continued to peer at him, feeling a sense of endearment and fondness welling and gushing out of me. 

"How could you say that?" He mumbled, his figure tensing and growing rigid as he gently placed my feet on the ground. I, on the other hand, was taken aback by his sudden outburst as his voice cut through the tranquillity of the atmosphere. 

"After all that I have done, how could you let me off so easily? The least you could do is to shout and scream, or even hit me; anything that will make you feel better."