Eighteen

After delivering the crimson stones to Hugo the next morning, I was dumbfounded to see the items on my office table vanish, leaving no subtle trace nor a speck of dust as it was cleanly wiped down. It was only later that Timothy informed that Nathan was looking for me.

"You've got to be joking..." I stared incredulously at Nathan as he led me to an empty room just beside his office, a place where all my stuff had been shifted into. "Have you been neglecting your medication, Nate?" Quickly, I pressed my palms against his forehead before placing another on my temple.

"What are you doing?"

"Checking for any fever." I replied. Grabbing hold of both my hands, Nathan sighed, as if there were so many worries plaguing him. "Hey. You know that you can tell me anything, right?"

"I know." Kissing on both palms before continuing, "but for now, I need just need you to trust me. Besides, I prefer to have my girlfriend close by my side."

I contemplated for a moment before giving a nod. I will not force him if he isn't ready to tell me what's going on. Just as he trusts me, I too, will do likewise.

I shook my head and breathed out a laugh, disbelieving that I was about to comply with his request.

"What about my workstation?" I asked, worried that the elevator will become my second office.

"I've purchased new ones. They should be arriving in the afternoon." Our moment was interrupted with the sound of yelling.

"Get out of my way!" The muffled voice on the outside was one that seethed with rage and anger before its volume tremendously increased when two figures came bursting into the room.

"Miss, wait! You can't be in here!" Timothy, who looked flustered, peered over to Nathan apologetically. "I'm sorry, sir. I could not stop her."

"It's okay. I'll handle this."

The woman who had a huge hat shielding her face, looked back as Timothy left the room, probably feeling relieved to have him off her back.

"Are you Nathan Crosby?" She took off her cap, her appearance still out of view from the both of us. "My name is Aurelia Harrison, and I am here to address a few things."

All oxygen was removed from my lungs as terror struck. That alluring appearance that etched a scar across my heart, breaking the dam of pain from five years ago; a pain that I thought I'd be free with Nathan by my side. A pain that I was afraid, would repeat once again.

Amelia.

"Alright. Timothy will escort you to my office. I'll be there in a few minutes." Nathan gestured for Timothy, leading her out of the room. Unconsciously, I found myself trembling as flashes of the past appeared in my head. My vision grew blurry. Soon after, I felt a familiar pair of arms engulf my small frame, wrapping me in a comforting assurance.

"Trust me, Ava. I'm yours." He said, resting his head atop of mine before pulling me even closer to him. "I assure you that nobody will be able to take me away from you." Tearing away, his thumb wiped the teardrop that had trickled down my face before looking straight into my eyes, his gaze full of love and earnestness.

"I'll see you later." He said, placing a soft peck on my head before our hands separated, leaving me in the room, with thoughts running wild and rampant in my head.

"I apologize if we have disturbed your slumber, but we just got back from all our wedding arrangements and we are utterly exhausted."

I remembered the moment when I saw the ring on her finger, the moment where everything was sent tumbling down from the highest and happiest moment in my life.