Chapter 5

There was a knock on her door. Violet quickly put on her mask and tied up her hair before opening the door to reveal Hunk.

"Allura wants us to go over the plan for when we arrive at the Balmera," he said. Violet nodded and they set off together. Her headache was gone from the night before, but what had happened before she fell asleep was blurry. She remembered telling Keith about her life before the Galra, and them talking. She couldn't remember what time he'd left, but it had to be late, because her headache had receded by the time he'd gone.

"About last night," said Hunk, and Violet felt a jolt of fear that he'd found out about her flashback, "Are you okay now? Rolo hit you pretty hard on the head, and you were limping all the way back to the castle."

She blew out a breath. "Thank you for asking, Hunk, but I'm fine. I just needed to sleep."

He peered at her. "Did you, though?"

Violet's gaze flitted away. "Mostly."

"It's okay," Hunk said warmly. "My mom had insomnia too when she was little, so my grandmother made her this tea to help her sleep. I can make it for you if you want - I might have to substitute some of the ingredients with space goo, but I guarantee it'll help."

Violet blinked, surprised at his kindness. "That's really nice of you, Hunk, but I don't think anything could help me sleep now." Not when she was plagued by dreams every time she closed her eyes, so fragmented she couldn't tell if they were memories or nightmares.

"You haven't tried the tea," said Hunk, undaunted. "I'll bring it to your room tonight."

Violet opened her mouth to protest, but they walked onto the bridge at that moment. Allura, it seemed, had started without them. "...freeing Shay and her people will not be an easy task," she was saying. 

"Right," Violet muttered. "Because everything we do is super easy."

"So, what are we gonna do?" asked Lance. "We drop in in our lions, go 'chow, chow, cow' and stop the Galra?"

Keith gave him a confused look. "What's 'chow, chow, chow?'"

"I think ... some kind of laser gun?" Violet replied, squinting at the blue paladin.

"Actually, laser guns are more like 'fooooom POW!'" said Hunk, making his own imitation.

Keith winced. "Please stop."

Lance noted, "That sounds nothing like it."

"In theory," Pidge said, "They sound kinda like: pe-chew pe-chew pe-chew!"

Shiro stopped the bad sound effects. "Either way, it's more of a 'bam! bam! bam! noise," he added.

Keith turned to Violet with pleading eyes. "Please help me," he begged. "You're the only sane one here."

"Damn straight." Violet smirked. "Besides, all of you are wrong. It's like this." She drew a gun from her pocket and fired three shots at the wall, the blasts echoing through the room. Violet slipped the gun back into its place.

"Violet!" Allura shouted. "Do not fire at the castle!"

"Sorry, princess," Violet replied, shrugging. "I had a point to make."

"Itdoesn't matter, because we won't be able to just fire at the Galra. The planet is a living thing, but it might not stay that way for long. We can't injure it anymore  that it already is," Hunk said passionately.

"Then we'll have to find another way," Shiro said. He began to describe what the paladins had to do.

Allura chimed in as well with the plan. Shiro offered to fly Violet in his lion, since she didn't have one, when she insisted to go and help the Balmerans as well, but Violet decided to fly with Keith instead. "I have a better connection to Red," she explained. "And the black lion and I have some ... rough history. If Keith is hurt or I have to get back to the castle, the red lion might let me fly it."