Chapter 16

Violet wasn't responding.

It was the only thing that could register in Keith's brain as he shouted her name over and over again. Please, was all he could think. Not her. Anyone but her.

The explosion that had rocked the ship and allowed Kolivan to enter the virus into the system had lessened. Zarkon's ship was going through the wormhole. If Violet didn't make it out, she wouldn't be able to catch up.

Finally, a tiny spacecraft flew from the exploded ship, zooming towards the wormhole as it closed.

"Violet! What happened?" Allura said, relief evident in her voice.

"Thace is dead," Violet said flatly. "He sacrificed himself to activate a bomb that would download the virus. I got knocked out from the explosion."

They exited the wormhole after Zarkon, Violet close behind. "I'm headed back towards the ship," Violet added. "You guys have less than half an hour before the power is back on."

"Then we'll have to be quick," Shiro said. "There are four main points on Zarkon's ship that will fatally cripple them; you all have those points highlighted in red on your screen. Now let's take Zarkon out - once and for all."

-

Violet watched, her ship speeding towards the castle, Voltron laying havoc to Zarkon's fleet. It was almost over - they were going to win. She slumped back in her seat, her body aching. Grief still hollowed out her stomach. Leilani was now an orphan. Violet would have to be the one to deliver the news; Allura would let her make a pit stop to the Balmera.

There was a crackle; Violet sat up as a mass of writhing energy gathered, spearing towards Voltron. "What is that thing?" Lance cried.

Kolivan breathed, "No."

The power struck Voltron full-on. Voltron was forced apart, the lions powerless. "Guys!" Violet screamed. "Pidge! Hunk! Shiro! Lance! Keith!"

"How could Zarkon have done that? His ship has no power!" Coran gasped.

"That energy was not from his fleet," Allura replied grimly. "It was something else."

Violet's eyes flared. "Magic."

"It was a device created to suck the life force from whole planet, made by Zarkon's witch," Kolivan said, his voice grave. "The Komar. We had only heard rumors, but ... it appears that they're true."

Coran spoke the words they were all wodnering. "If it sucks the life force from planets, what affect did it have on Voltron?"

"Voltron, come in!" Violet yelled. "Paladins!"

Static then - "Vi?"

"Oh, thank the stars," Violet said. "Keith. What happened to you all?"

"I don't know, but my lion isn't moving," Keith grunted.

Lance added, "Blue's not responding either.  What happened?"

"Zarkon's witch has struck you with a beam of magic that sucks out your life force. You need to keep fighting, or you may not be able to take another hit like that!" Coran exclaimed.

Something was coming. Violet blinked, rubbing her eyes, and focused her ship's screen in on the thing. It was some kind of monster, almost as big as Voltron. "Hey, guys, does the thing coming towards us look sweet at all? Maybe friendly or on our side? 'Cause I'm really hoping it is."

"You have to get moving," Allura said. "Don't give up." Her voice was tense.

Violet groaned. "That's Zarkon, isn't it?"