Chapter 1

"Roughly twenty-five ticks to the target," said Violet. "You up for this, Kolivan?"

He nodded. "We're ready."

Violet grinned, readying herself for what she was heading out to do. Over the last few weeks, she grew over her distrust of the Blades, and Kolivan had been showing her dagger techniques that were awesome. They'd gotten close - by now he could be her grumpy uncle or something.

Suddenly, the blue lion banked, causing Violet to be wrenched to the side. She planted her feet firmly - the last time she'd been knocked into Regris's tail, which had not been a pleasant experience.

"Sorry," Lance called back. "Fighters on my tail. Had to take evasive maneuvers."

"There's only one - you're fine," Violet shot back. Two more appeared, tailing the blue lion. "Okay, only three, that shouldn't be too ha - wow, now there's four, and - yep, that's another. We're screwed."

"Hunk to the rescue!" The yellow lion slammed into all five fighters, knocking off Lance's path. Hunk pulled up in his lion. "That was awesome. Wait - I think we flew passed the target spot, Lance."

"We're in the middle of a battle. We can't pause now," Lance replied. "Kolivan?"

"Let us out. We can take this from here," Kolivan commanded. The door to the hangar of the blue lion swung open, the Blades jumping out of it. "Go!"

Violet leapt from the lion, letting out a whoop of delight as the wind whipped through her hair. She free fell to the ground, activating her boosters and rolling on impact, and sprung to her feet with the others, beginning to sprint towards the base.

"I don't think you're taking this as seriously as you should be," Kolivan said dryly, running up to her side.

Violet's face stretched into a grin in response. "You take the fun out of everything, Kol. This is going to go great! We jetpack to the ground, take out a couple of fighters, generally look awesome-"

Blasts peppered the ground at their feet, cutting her off. Violet let out a stream of curses. Some kind of cannon hanging from a canyon was aimed at them, too big and too far for her to take out on her own.

"Lance!" Violet shouted into her communication device. "We're in a pickle over here, and it's stopping me from punching some Galra faces. I'm going to have to settle for Regris's Galra face if I can't get to a fighter soon enough, and then he'll probably kill me, which is bad, so ... help us."

"On it," Lance replied. "I can see the cannon." He and Hunk blew it up, allowing for Violet and the Blade of Marmora to claim the base and free the town it looked down upon.

They returned from the victory to a party from the citizens. Lance took selfies with the ladies, while Hunk taste-tested all the hors devours. Kolivan and the other Blades stood off to the sides, watching with grumpy expressions.

"If you start to say how 'fun' that was," Kolivan warned as she walked over, "Then we're leaving."

Violet sighed dramatically. "Fine. But you have to admit - we looked amazing. All the townspeople love us."

Kolivan's angry gaze flitted over the crowd, who gave him suspicious looks in return. "They love you," he corrected. "And the paladins. They look at us and only see Galra."

Violet rolled her eyes. "Maybe because you are Galra? Also, you look like you're about to murder someone, Kol. Try looking happy and they'll be much more friendly."

Kolivan glowered. "Do not call me Kol."

"Sorry, not gonna happen," Violet shrugged. "You're Kol now."