Chapter 8

"Vi needs a healer. Hunk, get her aboard the Atlas," said Keith. "How is she?"

"Unconscious, but she'll live," Hunk replied, his voice tinged with worry.

Keith closed his eyes briefly - sparing a second to be scared out of his mind for Violet - before he pushed the fear far, far down. There were bigger things to worry about now.

He could see the thing that had crashed onto earth clearer now; it was a lump of white metal plates that shone in the sun. Some kind of robot.

That was coming alive.

"Does anyone know what this thing is doing here?" asked Lance.

Pidge answered, "No idea."

Allura's voice was tense. "We just took down Sendak and his entire army, only to face this?"

Keith let out a long breath and gripped the black lion's controls. "Guys, whatever this is, it's no match for us. We're survivors. I'd like to keep it that way."

"And we'll make sure that you do." The Atlas flew in to flank the lions, Violet safely on board.

"We've gotten through worse than this," Keith said. "Work as a team. Stick together. And above all, protect each other. Whatever this thing is, it's bad. And we can't let it get to Earth."

The robot attacked, and Voltron rose up to greet it.

-

Violet blinked as the light of the sun shone through the curtains on the windows, falling directly on her face. She shaded her eyes and moved away, the beam of sunlight falling on the coffee table instead. "Papa, do the curtains."

Kieran Idalia looked up from where he sat at his desk, filing papers. "Why? Does the light bother you?"

Violet nodded remorsefully. "It blindid me," she whined. "I can't see."

Her father stood, walking over to where she was playing with her dolls on the carpeted floor. "It hurts your eyes," he said gently, "But it does other things too. Good things."

"What?"

Kieran smiled. "When the curtains are open, I can see the sun," he said, "And I can see the world. When they are closed, I can see nothing." He mimed closing a window.

Violet frowned, her lower lip sticking out. "Why?"

"Because without the light, there is only darkness. The light can blind us at first, but we need it."

Her forehead was still creased, so Kieran said, "Here." He snapped his fingers, and gold light filled the room, making his eyes glow bright. The threads of light wove in his palms; Violet was transfixed, reaching out to touch it.

"Pretty," she said happily. "Good light."

"Yes," said Kieran. "This is magic light. It is made to balance the darkness."

"How does it go?" Violet asked, tilting her head to the side. "Where does it go from?"

Her father shifted his hands, and the light dimmed. "It's from inside me," he told her, pointing to his chest. "Here." he moved his other hand, poking Violet's chest. "It comes from you as well. Right here."

Violet giggled. "Can I do it?"

"If you focus." Kieran smiled softly. "Do you want to?"