Chapter 7

"Hey, Violet!"

Violet slowed her pace to allow Pidge to catch up. "Hi. Where are you headed?"

"Sendak's pod. Coran called a meeting there."

Violet nodded. "Me too. By the way, I was wondering if you could help me out with something?"

Pidge pushed her glasses up her nose. "Sure."

Violet drew one of her blades. "That magnetism on these has been acting up. They're built kinda like boomerangs, I guess, but I was wondering if you could fix them." She handed the dagger to Pidge, who grabbed it with eager fingers.

"I don't usually work with weapons, but oh, man, this is awesome," the paladin said excitedly. "The blade here is double-edged, see? That means one side is steel, and the other is silver. The silver is sharper, but the steel is more powerful."

Violet blinked. "I ... did not realize that."

"Can I see the magnets on your wrists?" Pidge asked eagerly. Violet rolled up her sleeve and showed her the thin metal bands encircling her wrists that pulled her knives back to her hands.

"Hm ... I'll see what I can do. I'll have to take the magnets on your wrist, though." Violet nodded and unclasped it, handing it over.

She and the paladin arrived at the detainment room then, halting their conversation. The others were already there, crowded around Sendak's pod. Coran had hooked the Galra commander to an AI pod that would serve as an interrogation to get information directly from his brain. Violet shivered as she saw him - eyes closed, face clear. It was disarming how peaceful Sendak looked, when she knew the malice in his heart.

The paladins waited for Sendak's memories to be extracted, but with an unwilling participant, it was taking some time. Everyone began to space out, save Shiro, who was staring intently at Sendak's frozen face. Eventually Keith left to hit the training deck.

"Welp," Violet said, standing and stretching, "If I'm being honest, I prefer staring at the wall in my room to staring at the wall here. Bye, pala-dudes."

She strode from the room. Violet was bored, but she'd prefer the solitude of her quarters, where she could take off her mask. Besides, it was insufferable enough with nothing to do but stare at Sendak's pod, where his eyes stayed firmly shut. She found her rooms and locked the door behind her before slipping off her mask.

She couldn't help but think of Keith. He now knew what she was - who she was. It was oddly freeing to know that she didn't have to keep secrets from everyone. And it was refreshing not to have someone balk at her markings, not regard them with disgust or fear.

Violet sighed and grabbed the photo, deftly sliding it out from the frame, staring down at the empty space where her mother was supposed to be. Veronica was beaming, her and Violet's mischievous smirks identical as they faced the camera. There was Violet, her face uncovered, Altean marks glimmering. Her father was taking the selfie, his arm lifted slightly as if to reach out where the pocket of space lay that her mother was supposed to fill. Veronica's brown hair was tousled, falling to her waist, and her eyes were shining. Violet's hair was from her father, his glasses perched precariously on the bridge of his nose.

She traced her fingers over their outlines, feeling emotion swell in her core. She used to miss them, every day. Now it had just faded, a throbbing pain she'd gotten used to.

Violet whispered their names - if only to say that someone knew them, that she was still out there, still trying to come home. She felt tears sting her eyes and cursed. Violet set the thin picture down on her bed and went to the sink. She turned on the water, splashing her face a couple times to clear her head.