Chapter 3

The group was gathered in the bridge when an alarm went off. Violet frowned - she hated the blaring - and turned to Coran, whose face was pale.

"What's wrong?" Hunk asked. "you guys look like you saw someone rise form the dead."

"That's somewhat accurate," Coran replied. "This is a call for help."

"That's nothing new," said Keith.

"Right. But it's a call for help from an Altean signal."

Violet sucked in a breath. "You mean - Alteans sent that distress code? We're not the only ones left?" Her feet moved of their own accord, rushing to the control panel. "Get the coordinates. We have to find them."

Keith said, "Hold up. What if it's bait? Just because it's an Altean signal doesn't mean Alteans used it." 

Violet whipped around, about to snap at him that they had to find the ship, had to rescue it, but Allura said for her, "The call came from an Altean vessel, Keith. We've got to know who sent it."

Keith didn't look happy, but he conceded. Violet paced around the ship as Allura wormholed it to the coordinates. Alteans. This opened so many new doors - maybe there could be a secret army, or a chance of an alliance, or-

Violet refused to give the thought hope, in fear she'd jinx it.

"That looks like a research vessel. My father used them for exploring the far reaches of the universe," Allura said as they exited the wormhole. A ship was stuck in what looked like a bright black hole, half of it protruding.

Coran informed them, "The ship's mainframe says it was sent for scientific discovery. But I don't see any other records. Strange."

"So how did it get inside that wormhole?" Lance questioned.

Hunk asked, "That is a wormhole, right?"

"If so, I haven't seen any other wormhole like it," Coran replied.

"There's huge levels of essence coming from it, and quintessence readings are off the chart in the center, where the vessel is,"  Pidge reported.

Violet turned to the paladins. "What is someone is trapped aboard it? We have to help them."

"Vi, we don't know what the wormhole is capable of," said Keith. "We could be destroyed."

"Not Voltron," Violet shot back. "It's the most powerful weapon in the universe. Voltron could take it."

"Violet is right," said Allura. "Voltron should be able to withstand the force of the wormhole. It is our responsibility as paladins to aid anyone in there in need of assistance."

"I still have a hunch this is some kind of elaborate setup," Keith replied, brows furrowed.

"Even if it is, aren't we relying on 'should be?'" Hunk asked. "We don't know for sure that Voltron can take this."

"You don't understand!" Violet snapped. "We have to go in. There could be Alteans inside there. My-" She paused before she could say the words. My mother could be in there. "I'm going," she finished, lifting her chin defiantly. "With or without Voltron."

"Cool your jets, Vi," said Lance. "We'll go."

Violet relaxed slightly. "Good."

The paladins went to their lions, forming Voltron. They approached the black hole.

"Okay, let's be cautious," Keith instructed. "Pidge, what are we looking at here?"

Pidge replied, "It's a really big wormhole."