Chapter 7

With the explosion the Idalia sisters had set off, the MFE Fighters were clear to advance. The paladins flew into the labor camp and summoned their lions, planning to take out each section of the Zaiforge cannon.

However, when they arrived, the cannon was already rising into space. They were too late. Admiral Sanda had betrayed them to the Galra, informing Sendak that Voltron was coming and that he needed to launch the cannons. The lions tried to stop the sextuple Zaiforge, but they didn't have enough power to halt it entirely - not when Sendak's fleet was attacking them as well.

However, they didn't have to fight alone. Violet couldn't stay behind and watch as Voltorn tried to save earth without her. "Commander Holt! What's our artilery status?"

"We've exhausted all our cannons and fighters. I can try to scrape some more firepower together, but ... there's not much left."

"There has to be something." Violet racked her brain for anything that could be of use and sucked in a breath as it came to her. "The Atlas. What about the Atlas?"

"We haven't been able to get it off the ground," Commander Holt replied, surprised. Then his eyes narrowed. "How do you know about the Atlas? It's top-secret information."

"That doesn't matter right now," Violet said quickly.

"It most certainly does!"

"Commander," Shiro cut in, "Vi may be right. It's time to get the Atlas airborne."

With a lot of work, the Atlas - the replica of the Castle of Lions Sam Holt had started building - became airborne, and flew to Voltron's aid. With it, the battle began to turn in Voltorn's favor. The paladins focused their attention on the sextuple Zaiforge, which was powering up to launch a beam that would vaporize Earth.

"We need to block that blast!" Keith shouted as the sextuple Zaiforge powered up. "It's going to destroy Earth!"

"There's nothing strong enough!" Pidge replied. "Unless ... Voltron's shield. It has the mass generated to hold off the cannons for a couple minutes or so. But then it will break under pressure. We'd be defenseless, and we'd only have held it off."

"It's our only option," Keith replied.

"Voltron would be exposed!" said Violet. "You'd be annihilated!"

"You've sacrificed so much for the universe, Vi," Lance said softly. "It's our turn now."

Violet cried, "No! There has to be something I can do! Let me get onto Sendak's ship. I can ... I can take out the crystal that powers his ship. He'll be defenseless." She turned on Shiro desperately.

"Taking out the power crystal might be enough for the Atlas to launch an attack on Sendak's ship," said Shiro slowly. "We could defeat him once and for all, and the sextuple Zaiforge wouldn't be able to attack anymore without Sendak's command."

"I'm doing it," said Violet. "Shiro, get me a suit."

"Vi, don't!" Allura yelled over her headset. "You'll be sneaking into the heart of Sendak's ship! It's too dangerous!"

"Sorry, Allura," Violet replied, a hint of her old bravado coming back. "Someone has to save your guys' butts."

She launched from the Atlas, spearing towards Sendak's cruiser, as Voltron took up position and summoned it's shield. The sextuple Zaiforge powered up, and a beam of pure force shot from it as Violet snuck aboard Sendak's cruiser.

"Shield!" Keith roared, and Voltron blocked the blow. The paladins grunted as they took on the force of the blast.

Violet made her way to the control center, cutting down any sentry in her path. With them all distracted by the battle before them, it was easy to find the Galra crystal operating the cruiser. She used one of her explosives to blow it up, barely avoiding the blast.