Chapter 23. Smoother endings.

Here I was, sitting on a desk, shaking uncontrollably. I had promised myself after I left Phoenix, I would never show fear again...

Easier said than done when your living nightmare is smiling at you like you're old friends. Not thinking, I lifted my finger and flipped him off.

His eyes widened in slight surprise at the gesture. "Angelica, come meet my old friend." Phoenix called.

I couldn't help but frown. What the hell is he thinking?

A short blond woman came in holding her stomach. "Ah, you must be Nova!" The obviously pregnant woman told me.

I shook my head. "It's November." I said simply and forced myself to move off the desk. I kept on hand on it to steady myself as I stood.

"So, you two are... married?" I questioned trying to ignore Phoenix's burning gaze.

Angelica lifted a finger shaking a ring. "Yup! For a year now, are you married?"

This girl clearly has no idea who he is... did he turn a new leaf, or is this all an act of some kind?

I pursed my lips. "I'm dating eight guys, so, it's different."

Angelica gasped and covered her mouth. Phoenix stared at me in shock. "Eight guys?!" He demanded speaking for the first time in a while.

I flinched slightly before covering it with a smile. "Yes... got a problem?" I mean, we're not all dating... but they don't need to know that.

"No, it's fine. Very different indeed." Angelica told me and turned away. Phoenix hesitated and smiled at his wife.

"Do you think Nova- November and I could have a word in private?" His wife nodded while I tensed. She left and closed the door softly behind her.

"Touch me and I'll kill you." I warned.

Phoenix raised his hands. "Look, I didn't come here to do anything, seriously. After you left... my eyes were opened. I was... not the man I wanted to be."

I snorted. "No shit."

He pressed his lips together. "I'm sorry, okay? I didn't intend to get back into the gang scene after marrying Angelica, but I heard you were in trouble, so I came to see if you were okay." He paused and rubbed the back of his neck.

"I also figured we could both use some closure."

My jaw was on the floor at this point. Wait, what?!

"I'm not really in trouble... not anymore. Owen is a twisted bastard, but we're working on it." I said slowly.

Phoenix nodded. "Cool, cool... so, you joined a gang?"

I shook my head. "It's a long story." Phoenix hesitated.

"I've got time." He offered.

I clenched my jaw. "I'll tell you, but then I want you out of my life, or I can't guarantee your safety."

"Deal."

***

  "So, let me get this straight, you were kicked out, brought back, left, then they kidnapped you, and now, it's a romance?"

I nodded. "I've heard the sexual tension is unbelievable."

Phoenix stood and I tensed up. He winced and pointed to the door. "I'll leave now... see you November."

Hopefully not. I thought before gathering my things and heading out as well. I wonder where Kealan and Alex are, because it would have been nice to see a friendly face during that.

  "November-" I paused and crossed my arms seeing Owen.

"Please, spare me the villain monologue."

His lips curved up into a smile. "Are you happy? Taking away all of my brothers and wrapping them around your fingers?"

I shrugged. "It wasn't as easy as you make it sound."

Owen chuckled. "Everyone but me, but I suppose I don't fit in seeing as I want all of them dead now."

I somehow wasn't surprised. "Is there a particular reason you're telling me this or...?"

Owen glared at me slightly. "You've become more bold than before. Perhaps I should-"

"Shut up, you reek of desperation." Kealan drawled coming up from behind me and touching my shoulder with his hand. I turned and sent him a smile.

Owen smiled at Kealan. "Of course you can say that now. How are you going to live with Tyler? You're going to fight eventually, and it will result in a bloodbath."

Kealan rolled his eyes. "Please, as if November would even let us touch one another. We'd take one step and she'd kick our-"

I pressed a finger to his lips. "Kealan, I would do more than kick you. Don't underestimate me."

Kealan gestured to me. "See Owen? Nothing to worry about, so why don't you go now. Leave her and Jax alone. Your assistance isn't necessary. Go fuck up someone else's life."

Owen looked furious. "I will make you regret crossing me," he paused and met my eyes. "And you'll be a little less mouthy when I'm done."

I raised my middle finger once more. "Go choke on that dildo, will ya?"

Owen turned and walked down the hall without another word. I looked up at Kealan and turned to face him. "Phoenix -"

He nodded. "I was watching, and Alex was with Jax."

I relaxed and leaned up winding my arms around his strong shoulders, or at least tried to.

"Why are you so tall?" I whined pulling on his shirt to get him to my level.

Kealan laughed and leaned down kissing me on the side of my mouth.

I growled in annoyance and grabbed his hair forcing out lips together. He smiled slightly before lifting me up and kissing me soundly.

"I really like you Kealan." I told him.

He pulled away slightly. "I really like you too."

I hesitated. "I think I love you."

He smiled. "Good, because I love you too."

I reached up and placed my lips to his ear. "Cool, cause I've got this fantasy about a desk and-" I burst into giggled as he walked into an empty classroom and tossed me into a desk.

"Your wish is my command."

I motioned him closer with a finger, and he pounced.