Chapter 16. Unwanted information

Haru trembled and stared at the screen before hiding his head under the blanket. I grinned and watched Light write in his death note desperately.

The tv suddenly turned off and I looked over outraged. Winter raised an eyebrow. "Is there a certain message you wanted to give us by choosing to watch this?"

I shrugged. "Maybe, maybe not, do you agree with Light's logic?"

Winter looked at me hard. "We aren't killing criminals, we're sending them to jail."

I shrugged and looked away, annoyed it got turned off before certain characters met their tragic ends.

Haru peeked up from his hiding spot. "I did not like that anime, at all,"

I hid a smile at his words, after all, I didn't intend for them to enjoy it. I looked Kharif and gasped in utter outrage. He had fallen asleep! How could he have fallen asleep on me?!

Just as I was about extract sweet revenge, Winter called my name. "July, a word?"

I paused and sat up, feet dangling off the couch, just barely not touching the floor. "Do we have too?" I asked, and Zomer coughed into his first, amused.

Winter raised a white eyebrow. "No, we don't have to, but I think you'll be interested to hear what I have to say."

I sighed and rose to my feet, following the manipulative man to his bedroom. As he walked through the door, I hesitated before stepping inside.

"You do recall our deal, don't you?" Winter asked softly.

I nodded and ran a hand through my lilac colored hair. "Yes, you'll leave my family alone if I stay with you, and it was less of deal, and more like blackmail." I said and sat down on his bed, staring at him.

Winter smiled and I jumped as he knelt down right in front of me, looking into my eyes. "There's a conference, where a certain someone I want in jail, will be attending."

I frowned and felt my fingers twitch. "You want to... attend and get proof of his misdeeds?" I guessed.

Winter nodded and I shifted nervously as his eyes seemed to see past every defensive wall I had ever made. "Yes, but this one is very public, and I want you there as my plus one."

I froze. "What? You want me there- you realize I'm famous right? Everyone will know who I am!"

Winter nodded and rose to his feet, and I watched his every movement with wide eyes. "Yes, I'm counting on that," he told me.

I swallowed. "You're basically reminding me of our deal, because you want me to act as your girlfriend or partner in real life."

Winter gave me a terrifyingly warm smile. "Yes, July Knight can't disappear from society forever, I don't want the police involved." He told me and I frowned.

"My parents, they'll see me on TV," I said slowly, even though I knew he must be very aware of this fact.

Winter nodded and looked at his watch. "Once again, I'm counting on that," his lips rose, eyes frosty. "I trust you'll be more of a help than a hindrance on this particular mission of mine."

I looked at him dryly. "You're seriously just a human Kira with no death note,"

Winter leaned down and I went stiff as his nose ran from my jaw up until his lips touched my ear. "Don't pretend to be a saint, Justice, you're protecting your criminal parents,"

I bit my lip. "We've had this conversation before, people change," I said harshly.

Winter's deep voice in my ear had me taking a deep breath. "If someone were to do something horrible to your mother, if they say... raped her, would you forgive them if they changed?"

I froze. "T-that, my parents never -!"

Winter pulled back. "You're right, they never did anything quite that horrible to your mother, but my father, raped her."

I felt my lips part with horror, staring at Winter as he regarded me. "Owen raped Tyler,"

I stood, pale as death. "Stop it! I don't want to hear this," tears filled my eyes.

Winter watched me. "Why? Because it's true? Or because you don't care?"

I clenched my hands into fists. "It doesn't matter why! I told you to stop, and I don't- I don't -"

Winter looked me over. "You don't what? You know I'm telling the truth,"

I glared at him. "You're a despicable person," I snapped and crossed my arms. I glared at him for a long moment, trembling with rage, before I turned and stormed out of his room. "Damn you Winter!" I yelled over my shoulder.

In mere moments a hand gripped my arm and I stopped moving, going stiff as Winter grabbed me. I felt sick to my stomach, at how careful he was, even as he grabbed me, not to cause me any pain.

  "Answer me this, July, if someone were to do something horrible to you, kill someone you love, rape you, would you be able to believe they could change?"

My body shook, and I knew I couldn't answer that question. "I'm not God, and neither are you," I spat and turned to look at him. "So stop pretending you know everything,"

Winter smiled coldly. "I know I don't know everything, otherwise this would be easy for me, you would be easy for me."

My face twisted. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?!" I demanded.

Winter searched my eyes and suddenly pulled away from me. "Just don't try anything stupid,"

My chest heaved as he walked away. Every time, I start to like him, I realize he's nothing but an asshole.

"Kiss my ass, Winter!" I shouted and slid down the wall, covering my eyes with my hands. Damn you...