Chapter Two

Hudson

"Hudson, your songs have topped the charts for months now. How does that feel?"

"Pretty amazing." I say into the microphone. "Making music is my passion. It's what I do best, and having people enjoy it... that means everything to me."

"That's great. Well, congratulations, and I hope you enjoy the evening. Thanks for stopping to talk with me."

I flash my smile at the interviewer, then once more at the camera, before continuing my red-carpet walk.

Tonight, is the premiere for a movie one of my songs was featured it.

Along the way, a few more people stop me and flashing cameras spot my vision.

Finally, I make it inside the doors.

Amelia is waiting for me, standing to the side with a glass of champagne. She's in a black dress tonight, with her coal hair pushed over one shoulder. Her lips are lined with a dark red, and I take my place beside her.

"I'm going to start sneaking in the back with you." I tell her, "I'm still not used to doing things like this."

"They love you. Plus, it's literally my job to make you attend."

Amelia is my travel manager. Deanna still holds down the fort as far as opportunities and record deals, but Amelia has taken over as the one who handles all my publicity and touring.

"I guess that is what I'm paying you for, huh?"

"And not enough at that."

"I pay you a shit ton." I take the glass from her, downing the rest of the liquid. "Come on, we need to get our seats."

I grab her hand, leading her through the crowd of people as we enter the private theater.

Amelia and I aren't a couple, but things seem to get closer and closer to that every day.

Since she started working for me, we've become really great friends, and sometimes when the nights get lonely, a little more than friends.

"You know, it's ridiculous I have to wear a suit to watch a damn movie."

"We get it, Hudson. You'd rather be a hermit. Holed up in your house to write and make music for all of eternity."

Amelia teases me a lot for liking to keep to myself. What can I say? I hate having to put on my fakest smiles for people and have chitchat that neither of us cares about having.

"I like being on stage." I rebuttal as we settle into our seats. "So, not a hermit. I could do a concert every night of my life and it'd never get old. The rest of it? I could pass on. There is no reason someone needs to know if I prefer Pepsi or Coke."

"You got asked that one time, and that interviewer was totally crushing on you."

"Yeah, yeah."

The room quiets as the movie begins, and my song is towards the beginning.

When I got asked to be featured on a soundtrack, I was shocked.

None of this feels real to me. It's like one day I was singing in dusty bars and the next I was selling out arenas. I went from being a normal guy to having to throw on a baseball hat and sunglasses if I want to go down the street for a burger.

I enjoy it, because it means I get to do what I love. I'm more successful than I ever could've imagined I'd be—and that's not a brag. I still remember the days I'd steal food and clothes to survive. So, having enough money to do pretty much whatever the fuck I want? It's a luxury I'll never take for granted.