Chapter Fifteen

Josie

I walk into the dinner party, hosted by Trey's parents in their vintage-style mansion. This house always made me feel like I was in the early nineteen hundreds and judging by how they treat women, perhaps my feeling wasn't misplaced.

I came alone, though now that I'm here a sick feeling in my gut makes me think I should've brought someone.

"Josaleigh." Trey saunters towards me with two glasses of champagne in his hand. "One for you."

I take it, knowing damn well I won't drink it. While I doubt he'd drug me in front of people like this, I can never be sure. I can't trust him.

"Good news." He goes on, placing a chilling hand on my back as we walk. "Since you're now eager to begin your duties at my side, I've got a nice surprise for you tonight. Figure we might as well keep things moving in the right direction."

I freeze, and he smirks at me.

"What is it, Trey?"

"Oh, you'll see."

"Tell me!" I whisper-yell as he goes to walk away, but if he hears me, he doesn't let it show.

I take a calming breath, but it does no good. Now all night I'll be wondering what the hell he's got planned.

I dump the champagne glass and place it on a waiter's tray, before finding a brand-new platter of them and getting myself two.

To the waitress, I act like I'm giving one to my friend. I think she sees through my bullshit, because she snickers as she walks off.

Whatever. I knock back the flute of liquid in one big gulp, then decide to sip on the second one like a civilized adult.

After a few minutes of socializing with the limited people I remember from my childhood, we're all asked to take our seats.

Of course, I'm seated at the table with Trey's family and my parents. It's the front and center one, whereas all the other round tables are scattered throughout the dining hall.

I take my place next to Trey, having to play the part. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to eat. Being near him and my mother ruins my appetite.

Trey's father makes a toast thanking everyone for coming and then he calls for Trey to take the stand.

Trey grabs the microphone from his father and looks to me with a wink.

My heart stops beating.

"This has been a long time coming." He starts, and I hold my breath. No. I didn't think this would happen so soon. "Josaleigh, would you stand?"

On shaky legs, I do as he asks, hoping my brave face fools everyone to the turmoil happening underneath the surface.

"Some of you may be aware, others not so much, that Josie and I have always loved each other." The twinkle in his eyes makes my stomach lurch. He doesn't love me anymore than I love him, but he's putting on a show. "And I'll save you all the big speech, but it's time."

No.

I watch in horror as Trey lowers down to one knee. The guests all intake a breath and seem to be holding it with me.

"Josaleigh, be my wife. Let me have you forever."

There's an undertone of cynicism and I note how he didn't ask. Because I don't have a choice. This isn't a yes or no question.

"I'd love nothing more." I grit out through my clenched-teeth smile.

The crowd claps as Trey comes up and wraps his arms around me. The urge to squirm away is there, but people are watching. If I'm going to find a way out down the line, I have to play this smart.