Chapter Eighteen

Hudson

It's been two weeks of sneaking around and only seeing Josie in small increments. It's driving me crazy.

Two years thinking she didn't want me and now she does, but we still can't be together.

I've been doing some serious thinking on how to get her out of this, and more importantly, how to get her out before I go back on tour in three weeks.

Deanna is going to take Amelia's spot for the rest of this tour and she's in full agreeance with me to get back out on stage as soon as I can.

I'm ready to resume somewhat normal life, and I want Josie by my side when I do it.

I haven't talked to her about it yet, nor have I factored in that she's got a whole life in New York, too. Maybe I'm delusional, but I have faith she'll want to at least finish the US part of the tour with me.

If I can get her away from Trey, that is.

For two weeks I've been stealing kisses when I can, but I want more. I want her all to myself, every inch of her, for as fucking long as we both want.

Tonight, I have a plan.

I didn't inform her of it beforehand, and as the time approaches, I think maybe I should've.

Tonight, is their engagement party. Masquerade ball themed.

I will be in attendance.

Josie said she requested the masked theme because she didn't want to have to hide her disgust all night long. I figured it's perfect for me to stay close and watch her while also seeing how Trey acts around her.

I tighten the tie of my charcoal suit. I'm feeling better these days. My stitches were taken out a few days ago and I'm pretty much back to normal, minus the throwing myself around on stage every night.

I'm all healed up just in time to seek revenge.

I don't think she means to, but even Josie underestimates me. I didn't come to fucking play. Justice will be served and I will be the one to serve it.

When I arrive to Summit, I park my own car instead of using the valet. This gives me time to scope out the prestigious place.

I lower my mask down over my face. It's a matte gray that matches my suit and covers half my face. On the right side, it goes lower and covers most of my cheek, too. I figured this one was perfect to conceal my identity and my suit covers my tattoos. I'm anonymous.

They are checking the guest list at the door, but it isn't hard for me to slip in the side with a few people who are coming in from sipping wine in the gardens.

Dramatic classical music plays from a live orchestra on stage and the part is already in full-swing.

I hang back, searching the crowd.

Even with a red lace mask covering her eyes and most of her nose, I'd recognize Josie anywhere.

Her almost-platinum hair is in a swept back bun and tendrils of stray curls fall around her face.

The gown she's in is blood-red and strapless, with a large skirt that touches the tops of her high-heeled feet.

The only problem with her look is that she's hanging off of Trey.

He's in a white suit with a white mask and I can't help but think about how much better it would look tinted with his blood. He'd match Josie better.

I reach for a glass of champagne as a waitress passes by, and keep to myself.

Most of the party Josie and Trey are in conversation with people. I can tell Josie does her fake laugh at a few jokes and always slyly pulls away from Trey's grasp when no one is looking.

"Excuse me." Trey taps his glass into the microphone and grabs everyone's attention. Josie is at his side with a smile plastered on her face that's about as real as the tooth fairy. "Josaleigh and I would like to thank you all for coming. We appreciate the support and the gifts. Also, we'd like to inform you all that we've set a date."

My blood turns boiling as I flick my gaze to Josie. Under the mask, I can tell she's wide-eyed. She didn't mention a date? I wonder if she knew?

"We'll be getting married two months from today. I know it's quick." Trey turns to her, stroking the back of her cheek. I clinch my fists. "But we're so in love we can't wait any longer."

The crowd applauds and coos as Trey lowers his lips to Josie's. My vision turns about as red as the dress she's wearing.

I know she's playing the part, but seeing her kissing someone else sets off something almost primal in me.

I stick to the back wall and watch as he grabs her hand and leads her to the dance floor.

They share a slow dance and I grind my teeth the entire time. At least the party is winding down.

Fuck Trey and fuck being careful.

Josie is coming home with me tonight.

When their dance is over, they finally separate. The party is beginning to wind down and people have started saying their goodbyes.

I make my way over to Josie. Walking up behind her, I lean down and whisper.

"Sneak out of here with me in five."

She jumps, but quickly recovers when she realizes it's me.

"You've been here the whole time?"

"Yes. Side door. Five minutes. I'll pick you up."

"I can't—"

"Five. Minutes."

I don't give her time to debate as I walk away and head for the exit. I don't want to push her around, but damn I need her tonight.

When I pull up to the side door, she's there and rushes out to meet me.

"Go!" She urges, laughing uncontrollably as we peel out of the parking lot. "I feel like I'm doing something illegal. Why is it fun?"

"Don't turn into a rebel on me." I tease, taking us straight to my apartment. "How'd you get out?"

"I told Trey I wasn't feeling well and that I was leaving with Livi. She took my phone with her so my location holds up the story. I can't believe you showed up! You aren't supposed to be near Trey or me."

"Fuck the rules."

"It could get you hurt."

"No one recognized me."

"I wish I could've danced with you."

"Yeah." I grip the wheel, replaying her dancing with him and their kiss in my head. "I don't like seeing you with him."

"I know." She sighs, leaning against the seat. "Every time I come up with a new plan, I find a roadblock in it. I'm scared I've dug myself too deep. He didn't tell me about the date. I think he keeps waiting for me to trip up and freak out. I want to, but I can't. I have to act all-in."

"We'll figure it out. You're not marrying him."

Because if I have to watch you kiss him one morefucking time, I'll lose my mind