Chapter Eight

Josie

Hudson ignores me for the most part in the days following the kiss. We go through Detroit and Chicago before getting a two day break in Minneapolis.

Amelia, on the other hand, has been working me like a dog.

If I had to guess, I'd say the kiss with Hudson the other night pissed her off. I guess I can't blame her.

I saw her walk back to his room and come out with a nasty look on her face that turned even more sinister when she looked my way.

I'm not trying to steal her man. He's off limits to me, no matter how bad I want him.

I can't rekindle something that is destined to end the exact same way it did last time.

Thankfully, after the long list of chores Amelia so kindly gave me on my day off, I'm able to relax.

I'm treating myself to a room service dinner for one, and afterwards, I plan on going to the rooftop pool for a swim.

It's nice to lay in an actual bed versus a bus bunk, and to have a hot shower that isn't time restricted.

A ding pulls my attention, and I walk over to where I'd dropped my phone on the dresser when I came in.

Unknown: How's Minneapolis?

Ice filters through my pores, seeping into my veins. Chilling me right down to the bone.

I lock the phone quickly, wishing I hadn't opened the message at all. Screw me for having my read receipts on.

Moments later, another ding.

My trembling hands pick up the phone again.

Unknown: You had one instruction. It was to stay away from him.

I sharply intake a breath through my nostrils, exhaling it out my mouth. It doesn't calm me like it's supposed to.

Me: I took the job without knowing who it was for.

It's probably useless to argue, but I at least intend to share my side of the story.

Trey might scare the shit out of me, but if I have any say in it, he will never know the power he holds.

Unknown: Quit.

One word. Such a simple command.

And something must be wrong in my head, because it only makes me want to stay more.

The last thing I want is to put Hudson in danger, but he's guarded twenty-four seven.

My heart thuds in my ears.

Me: I have until I turn twenty-five. It's a strictly platonic work relationship. I do not intend on quitting.

Platonic? Maybe not. Not after the kiss.

I can't believe I even argued.

I might be a woman, but I have balls of steel.

I never understood those sayings anyway. Getting called a pussy is demeaning but having balls is a compliment?

Women birth lives out of their vaginas and walk around the next day as if it's just a normal Tuesday.

Men get tapped on the balls with the force of a light wind and are on the floor screaming.

Regardless the dumb sayings, I have a will to fight against Trey that I'm not sure is helpful or idiotic.

Unknown: I assume you remember our conversation last time we saw each other.