Chapter 8: Domino Effect Part II

CHAPTER 8 II: DOMINO EFFECT

<Percy>

I am sitting on Thalia's Pine waiting for the Hunters of Artemis to show up. Artemis instructed me to wait for them. Apollo gave them the all-clear to go back to hunting yesterday evening and so Artemis decided that they would leave the Camp today.

The Hunters were angry when they were told about Zeus tasking a male to protect them, though they calmed down a bit when they found out it was me. Apparently, they don't need a little boy to protect them since they can protect themselves just fine.

I laughed when they said that and replied that it didn't look that way when they were deposited on the floor in front of us battered and bruised. All the Hunters immediately glare at me, and I just shrug not at all sorry.

All the younger hunters were playing together in the Artemis Cabin. The Hunt didn't allow them to play with the younger demigods because of the boys amongst them. They said that 'The boys could taint them and influence them into acting like Daughters of Aphrodite.'

I was angry at that on behalf of the Aphrodite Cabin and told the Hunters to take it back because it was a very disgusting and toxic thing to say. They just shrugged uncaringly, smirking and saying, 'We would apologize, but to do that we would have to feel at least a little bit sorry wouldn't we?'

I just glared angrily at them before turning around to make my way out. Blackjack wasn't with me as he was busy catching up with the other Pegasi, and he plans to stay with them till tomorrow. As I was making my way to the forest, I was stopped by Apollo who wanted to talk to me.

He warns me about how vindictive and petty the hunters can be towards males and that I should be careful. He also says that his sister is just as bad as the hunters, so I shouldn't expect any help from her as she would probably be the one giving them ideas of ways to hurt, humiliate, and anger me while acting like a saint and pretending that she had no part in it.

I was grateful that he told me this but what I didn't understand was why. I asked him this and he explained to me how he and Hermes have decided to try and change their ways and become better people in the future. Apollo also said, I quote, "Hermes and I have decided to act better and be better people. Aunt Hestia has been giving us counselling. Also, you're our favourite cuz."

I was of course touched by all that Apollo had said and gave him a hug to show my gratitude and affection before waving goodbye after he wished me luck with the hunters.

Back to the present, I notice the Hunters trudging up the hill Thalia in the lead. I guess that they are still weak from the injuries they sustained. A sneer makes its way onto my face as I take in the fact that I am going to have to spend lot of time near her.

Once they get to the top of the hill they begin to look around, most likely trying to find me. I stay still but don't hold my breath. That is always a bad idea as you may end up gasping for air before whoever is looking for you is gone or has stopped.

'Looks like Jackson didn't show, the wimp.' Says one Hunter after some minutes of looking around with no result.

'He is probably so scared of us that he is going to stay huddled up in his little tent till he is sure that we've left the camp.' Another joins in.

'He has always been a coward. If not for his loyalty I am sure he would have run away to escape the first great prophecy. Not like it matters, if the hunt hadn't shown up, they would have lost the war long before Kronos even got to Olympus.' Thalia says laughing. The older hunters all nod in agreement to her statement laughing along with her.

The younger ones who I saved all look irritated at the insults towards me but don't say anything. I am happy that they will not get themselves in trouble for me especially when there is no reason for it.