Chapter 1: The Breakup

<Percy>

We just defeated Gaea, everything has been calm. Leo came back with Calypso and everyone is happy, but I know that it is just a calm before the storm.

Jason proposed to Piper last week and they are getting married in a month or two. Leo also proposed to Calypso and they are getting married on the same day as Jason and Piper, it's going to be a double wedding.

Frank and Hazel might get married too but I doubt that it would happen anytime soon. They seem fine with how their relationship is right now and their duties would not give them any time to have a wedding. Reyna retired from her post as praetor saying that she is too tired to continue and would like to rest from leading and also because she feels that Hazel would be the best for the position and just like that Hazel became praetor and now both she and Frank are always busy, but at least they are busy together.

Annabeth has had absolutely no time for me. She is the architect of Olympus and so she has been designing everything all over again and it is a lot of hard work. Also, her mother Athena has been helping her with half the designs and so Annabeth wants to give her all to make her mother proud. 

I would have proposed to Annabeth and made it a triple wedding but I know that that is not the real reason that she has been ignoring me. It's because her mother does not approve of our relationship and Annabeth, wanting to please her mother, plans on breaking up with me. There is also the matter of her being unable to stay loyal to me. 

I know that during the time that I was missing Annabeth was looking at other guys. It is not that hard to know with how many guys that stare at her. Of course I understand that Annabeth is beautiful and all and a lot of guys crush on her but usually Annabeth glares at anyone who looks at her and if they try to make a move she beats them up. But now instead of getting annoyed or angry she just winks at them or smiles.

Though I am called a seaweed brain I am not as dumb or slow as people think I am. I just don't speak up. I could be as smart or even smarter than Annabeth if I wanted to be but I never really cared because Annabeth loved me the way I was, but now that Annabeth obviously doesn't love me like she used to there is no need. 

But of course I am not going to just randomly become smart it would freak people out and Annabeth might pretend to love me and not break up with me. And yes, I know that she is going to break up with me the signs have been all too clear for the past month but I never mentioned it because I do not want to be the one to break up with her as people like Thalia for instance, may then think that I broke her heart. So I am going to let her do the honors.

I know that I sound like I do not care if Annabeth breaks up with me or not and to tell the truth I don't. Well not anymore. The first time I saw the signs I tried to ignore it and hoped that it would pass, but I started to see them more and more until it was plain obvious. Well at least to me. I cried in my cabin all day when I realized that there was no way that she loved me anymore because I loved Annabeth with all my very being. But after that day I realized that I can not just let one prideful, ungrateful girl define me, and so I picked myself up and got over her. Now I don't love her anymore, and now that I don't, I have started to really pay attention her flaws. People always say that when you love someone you ae blind to all their faults and now that I have started analyzing Annabeth, I see that as well.

I see how she barely cares for any of her siblings and whenever she talks to them it is in a haughty, proud tone. Of course I understand that her fatal flaw is hubris but so is her siblings' but they always suck up their pride when talking to her because they know that if they get prideful as well, there would be a huge fight that may end up with all of the Athena cabin in the infirmary.

I also noticed how she acts as if she is superior to everyone else because Athena called her her favorite daughter. Annabeth acts as if her architectural drawings and blueprints are the best and that it is an honor to be even allowed to look at them. Once Aliana, a young Athena camper, had wanted to look at Annabeth's blueprints and sat down reading them on her bed. Annabeth had gone into her room and found her with her 'sacred' blueprints and she screamed at her. 

The little girl ran away in tears and Malcolm, being the big brother of all the Athena campers had been needed to calm her down. He had gone to scold Annabeth but she had screamed at him, and threatened him that she would tell their mother about how he said that he does not like architecture, and disliked how she told them all that they had to be architects. Malcolm had had to back off because he knew that Annabeth was cruel enough to do just that.

After taking notice of these kind of things, and also little inconsiderate things she does, I started to wonder how I had ever loved her. How had I been so blind as to never see her true personality?

-

Finally the day that she breaks up with me and I can stop pretending to love her came. It was about a week before Jason, Piper, Leo, and Calypso's wedding.

I was walking to the Dining Pavilion when Annabeth stalked up to me with a haughty look on her face that made it clear that she thought that I should be honored to be in her presence. How I had thought that this was a warm smile before, I have no idea. I forced myself to smile.

'Hey Annabeth how is my Wise Girl doing?'

'I am doing fine. So Percy we need to talk.' On hearing these words it took all of my willpower not to jump up and down, instead I smiled saying,

'sure what do you want to talk about wise girl?' I almost winced at how oblivious I sounded. Acting dumb is harder than you think, especially when talking to someone who you despise and who calls you dumb for their own amusement.

'Come on let's go the beach for privacy.'

'Sure.'

We sat down on the sand the waves lightly lapping at my bare feet, the sand in between my fingers. I would have been at peace if not for the arrogant and annoying presence of Annabeth Chase. She didn't even sit down on the sand, she was obviously scared about how I would react to her breaking up with me and did not want to be near me when she broke the news. Now that I think about it I am going to have to act devastated and squeeze out a good amount of tears and maybe scream at her a bit.

'So Percy, we have been together for about 3 years,' she said. I nodded to this already seeing how she was going to break the news. 'I really love you and all Perce but I just don't feel the spark that I did before and I just don't love you as a lover anymore so. . . I think we should break up.'

Okay heartbroken lover act on. 'Wait so your just going to break up with me. Just like that after everything we have been through.' I said with (fake) disbelief in my voice.

'You see that is just it Percy we have been through too much together and staying with you has just brought worse things and I am tired so I would like a break from it all forever. Also you are just too dumb for me, I mean the smartest person in camp with the dumbest is kind of anti-climatic and it hurts my pride so sorry.'

'Annabeth Chase,' I said deathly calm. 'I went through Tartarus for you. TARTARUS! And this is how you repay me!' I screamed at her, tears running down my face.

'I would have thought that you would have been understanding not selfish!' She screamed back.

'Me! Selfish! you're the one who is breaking up with me and leaving me alone all because you're scared. Well can't say I'm surprised.' I say venomously before marching away from her.

Once I get into my cabin I let a small smile settle on my face. I am finally free of her! But it slides off soon after. Am I really the reason that all these horrible things happened to the demigods of Camp Half Blood. No it can't be right? I mean Kronos would have risen either way, and it was me who stopped him, so I helped them. Those deaths were inevitable. . . right?

I never went to eat dinner.