The Little Blue Ball

That was all that was needed. A meeting...

Selene ignored the giggles of Rose and her friends, and hurried to her dance teacher's office.

She knocked three light and barely audible knocks on the ebony door.

"-Enter my dear." She heard in a dry voice.

She timidly opened the door, a multitude of thoughts and questions invading her almost broken mind.

Leonidova was sitting at her desk, pouring hot tea into a porcelain cup. The young ballerina stood straight, her head raised towards her superior.

"-My dear Selene, I must say that you have disappointed me today.
-I know, madam."

The old lady looked at her pupil seriously and with a touch of pity.

"You're not cut out to play Odile, Selene. Odette, no doubt you are perfect for this role.
-But the star role must be able to embody these two opposites, yes I know.
-You have the grace, the sweetness and the beauty of the White Swan."

Selene looked away, embarrassed. Everyone was telling her so, despite her protests.

"-Diana and Rose, however, have the qualities needed for the role.
-So why not choose one of them?
-Rose has the sensuality and the charming look of the Black Swan. However, she has none of the qualities of Odette.
-So the opposite of me...?
-That's right.
-But what about Diana? She can perfectly embody both.
-But it's you, Selene, that I want in the lead role."

She let out a sigh.

"I don't understand, Madam..."

Leonidova took a sip of her tea. Selene could smell the mixture of cinnamon and apple. A quality choice...

"-You are one of the best ballerinas in this company, if not the best in every way. You had that spark and passion that I detected when you danced.
-You talk about it as if it was in the past, Madam...It still is.
-No, and I noticed it right away. What were you thinking when you were dancing?"

That question again...If Lilas had noticed, no doubt a professional would notice too.

"In all honesty, I just didn't want to fail...To succeed, to show that I was capable of playing a character that wasn't meant for me. I wanted to prove what I could do."

Her mentor slowly stood up and walked over to her to look her straight in the eye:

"-To whom did you want to prove this?"

Selene fell silent. To tell the truth...she didn't know. Maybe to herself? Or to someone who didn't exist?

"-I don't know, madam."

The lady sighed again and slowly returned to her seat.

"Dancing is not about knowing whether you will fail or succeed. It's knowing how to transmit emotions through it.
-Yes Madam...
-I expect more from you, Selene. I have high hopes for you."

She waved her off. As the young woman was about to open the door, Miss Leonidova spoke again:

" -Why did you choose Odile's Variation? "

Selene looked at her in a corner, as if frightened and hesitant.

"I just wanted to show that I was not the little white swan and that I could also have a less sensitive side.
-I'm sorry, but it was a failure.
-I have my suspicions, ma'am.
-By the way, is your ankle okay?
-Yes, it's nothing, just a little sprain of nothing at all.
-Well, that's reassuring."

And Selene went to the changing rooms to change. She looked at her phone for a moment. Diana had left her a message.

"I'm sorry my darling that I didn't wait for you, Rose wanted us both to go out. I'm sorry for what happened to you during class, don't be too hard on yourself okay?"