The Nympheas Pond

"-Tell me Lance, have you ever danced?"

Selene and Lance were at center stage, facing each other. The young woman had put on her dancing shoes, while the Maestro had tied his hair in a ponytail so as not to be bothered. He nodded negatively.

"-I don't remember it I'm afraid. But I know the basics, I think I can handle it, that's for sure.
-In this case why not revise these bases? " She smiled.

The ballerina stood in fifth position, her right arm raised above her head and her left hand holding a piece of her blue dress. Lance did not take his eyes off her and heard a melody playing. The girl turned her head to the side:

"-You just have to follow me, it should be simple."

Lance complied and he followed the steps of the latter. It was a banal warm-up, but nevertheless he felt lighter, as carried by the wind. He did not have too much difficulty to enchain the choreography that Selene carried out. Sometimes the ballerina turned around to make sure that everything was going well for her guest. She found him quite comfortable for someone who never danced. His movements were fluid, precise and elegant. Lance stopped in fourth position and bowed to his "teacher".

" -You're doing great, it doesn't look like you're just a beginner!
-That's probably because you're an excellent teacher?"

She laughed, flattered by the compliment.

"-Tell me Maestro, do you know the ballet from Swan Lake?
-Only by name. What is it about?"

She looked him straight in the eye, with a sparkling look:

"To summarize, it is the story of a prince who meets Odette, the Queen of the Swans. He falls madly in love with her and wishes to make her his bride. However, Rothbart captures Odette and puts a spell on her. By day she will be a Swan and by night a human."

Lance does not say a word, preferring to wait for the end of the beautiful girl's tale.

"Some time later, during a great royal ball, where several pretenders to the throne were invited, Rothbart arrived with his daughter Odile. Now Odile, was the exact copy of Odette but dressed in black: She was the Black Swan. The prince fell into the trap and danced with her, believing he was dancing with his love. He asked her to become his wife and declared his love for her."

Selene sighed for a moment and put on a sad face:

"And so, poor Odette, became a swan forever. Too full of sorrow, she decided to end her life by letting herself be carried away by Swan Lake.
-What a tragic end...
-Yet this ballet is beautiful, I am so sad for Odette."

Strangely, Lance was slowly beginning to understand Selene's interest in the ballet.
So he approached her and as he was about to offer his hand again, Selene suddenly turned to him, looking both panicked and worried.

" -Do you think I am capable of interpreting Odile, Lance?"

He was about to answer her but she did not let him finish.

"Everyone tells me that I would be perfect as Odette, but that it is a waste of time with Odile. To become someone who is my perfect opposite and this during an act... "

The Maestro felt that she was close to giving up. It was out of the question.

Moreover, he felt that the atmosphere of her scene was becoming suffocating so he preferred to change his plans. He gently took her wrist, his free hand behind his back:

" -Staying here doesn't seem to be the best idea, may I suggest you talk in a more peaceful place?"

The ballerina did not answer, surprised by the proposal but let herself nevertheless guided by the master of the places. She did not particularly want to leave her scene, just the thought of it made her feel guilty. Since her arrival, she hadn't danced once and it made her sick just thinking about it.