The way things are

Selene and Lance slumped into the velvet seats, exhausted by this gathering of Negati that had appeared out of nowhere because of the weather.

They exchanged a knowing and amused look and then sighed rhythmically.

"I thank you for opening your stage to my Negati. None of them had dared before for fear of possible trouble.
-I treat the Negati with the same respect and affection as I do to the Tims. Besides, it was fun, it took my mind off things!"

The Maestro couldn't stop smiling at the young woman's infatuation. He had held back from warning her about the consequent negativity that these little friends could bring. She would realize it sooner or later.

He remained on his little cloud, while the ballerina began to twirl with pleasure on the stage. Lance did not leave her eyes, he was hypnotized. It suddenly reminded him of the purpose of his visit. However, it seemed that Selene had read his thoughts, since she held out her hand and looked at him with an air of tenderness.

"Can we...dance together? We didn't get the chance, although that was the very purpose of your first visit, wasn't it?"

She felt embarrassed, but Lance nodded, and he let himself be carried by Selene, who gracefully took him to the center of the stage.

Lance felt his migraines returning, but it was out of the question that they disturb him. Fortunately the Maestros were brilliant actors.

He was taken out of his tirades by a shiver which traversed his spine. Selene had put her delicate hand on his waist and Lance had not expected it at all. He had perhaps omitted the contact during his training of the ballet.

She quickly withdrew her hand, noticing the distress and panic of her partner as red as a peony:

" -Excuse me, I had forgotten that you were not as comfortable as me on this point!"

She tugged at the two strands of her hair, feeling foolish.

"-No, there's nothing wrong, really! I'm not really touchy-feely to tell you the truth...
-It's just that I'm so used to doing this with my dance partners, that it's become an automatism.
-Indeed I suppose they have no trouble with it."

The young woman pretended to think then opened her sparkling amber eyes:

"-Why not start gently?"

Before Lance could react, Selene took his hand and led him with her to the rhythm of a soft and calm melody. She could feel that Lance was tense, understandably he was not used to all this. It was therefore up to her to make him as comfortable as possible.

"-Do not take your eyes off me, Lance, do not worry trust me!"

She took out her best smile, which did not help the Maestro, losing all his means. Seeing this reaction, the ballerina tried another approach. Facing him, she stared at him with the most reassuring air possible and took a calm, low and soft voice. Lance did not move and tried as best he could to calm his breathing becoming more and more breathless:

"-Close your eyes and let yourself go.
-Are you sure...?
-I've done this kind of thing before and it's been quite effective. It's a matter of trust, plain and simple!"

So he closed his eyes and let himself be done.

Selene began by taking his hand, without leaving her partner's eyes.

" -Since the part with Odile is a rather sensual and very romantic dance, it requires a lot of contact if not more."

The Maestro didn't answer and continued to let himself go. He didn't know why his heart was pounding in his chest, but he didn't pay attention. He had to concentrate on his partner's voice.

"-That's why, before we get down to business, it's best to be as comfortable as possible..."

As she said this, she directed the Maestro's hand to her waist. This time Lance did not react. He was too focused on his heart and the ballerina's voice.

Finally she joined her free hand to his, which brought her much closer to the Maestro, so that both could hear the commotion of their hearts. The young woman felt her cheeks heating up and did not dare to look him straight in the eyes.

She wanted to move back, but Lance was almost pressing against her, impossible.

"How do you feel?
-Strangely well ...
-Open your eyes, then..."

He opened them slowly. He thought he was uncomfortable or panicked. This particular contact was very close, something he was never used to. But it felt good.

Selene's close presence made him feel serene and comfortable. He felt the very strong presence of her fabulous melody. He had the impression that they were both in the middle of the stars, on a small cloud.

They remained like that for several seconds, minutes. Lance took control and slowly and gradually loosened the embrace. He saw his partner troubled.

"Is everything okay, Selene?
-Yes ... I may have gone a little hard for a first contact actually ...
-No, it was perfect.

She hiccupped.

"Really?
-I need a little more ease, but it will come with time and with you, it should not be long.

He bowed and gave her a lovely smile, which made her blush.

"The day has been exhausting my dear, you should rest. I'm sorry, but Balan is waiting for me."

Selene nodded, smiling and did not take her eyes off Lance as he left her stage. As soon as he left, the costumes and Cotton poked their noses in, eager to see.

Selene looked at them, still confused:

" -What exactly has just happened...? "

On the balconies of the Opera, far from the eyes, stood a figure who had not left the scene of the eyes. He put his top hat back on with his faithful smile, obviously very satisfied with the turn of events.