The Ribbon

"-You've had a tortured look on your face for several hours, Lance."

Balan was sitting in their office, scribbling some notes about their current Visitor. Usually it was Lance who took care of it, but Lance's mind was decidedly elsewhere. He was slumped in the chair across from where the Maestro was sitting. He was staring at the ceiling.

The pain in his chest had not gone away. It was so strong that he only wished he could rip his heart out.

Balan closed the thick newspaper, having finished his report, then put his hands on his chin and stared at his comrade.

"-Don't tell me it's because of this Heart Fragment?"

He did not answer and Balan sighed.

"-It was to be expected, you didn't think she would spend her whole life here.
-And why not?" Had he finally dropped, in a cold tone.

"And what does she want?

Lance turned his back.

"It's no use to pout at me, you know very well that you have something to do with it. It is not me who spends my life with her. "

He paused.

"She's close to getting her next fragment, you know?
-What makes you say that?"

Balan stood up and moved to the former Maestro's ear and whispered his answer. Lance turned around quickly, surprised and embarrassed.

"Are you sure of what you are saying?
-Oh yes, I am." he answered with a big smile.

Lance stood up and put back his now messy hair. He sighed and as he looked at the colorful stained glass window, a Koso-Koso settled on the top of his head.

"-Did you know Balan that a kiss was not just a courtesy gesture?" he said calmly as he stroked his cheek.

Balan was surprised.

"-Of course I knew that, you're just finding out?
-Since she offered me some here and there, I was intrigued so I searched" he continued pointing to his cheek and forehead, still elsewhere.

Balan muttered in his beard, falsely annoyed:

"-Silly girl, she was well kept from telling me.

Then he resumed:

"The best of all kisses is the one on the lips, hu hu."

Lance touched his lips with his fingertips, eager.

"-Surely..." He looked at his friend.
"-You who have already experienced this...How is it?"

The Maestro shrugged, flattered.

"It's more exquisite and bewitching every time. Once tasted, it is difficult to do without. But my past experiences have nothing to do with how you feel about her."

Lance bowed his head, lost and pained.

"Patience is a virtue. But tell me, are you sure you want to go through with this? You and I both know what lies ahead for you and what lies ahead for her. Who knows what might happen in the near future."

Lance shook his head. Balan hadn't minced his words, but the truth had to be told.

"-You should get some rest my friend. You're dealing with a lot of emotions you've never felt on your own. Clear your head, it's better."

The enamored one nodded and went to his room while Balan sighed at his Tims.

Lance slid into his sheets, thinking. He was completely distraught.