➭ Chapter 6: Look After You

"It's always half and never whole,
You've begun to feel like home.
What's mine is yours to leave or take
What's mine is yours to make your own"

Look after you – The fray

▰▱▰▱▰▱

"Come on! Keep going, keep going" Thomas encouraged with a smile on his face, letting Newt squeeze the palms of his hands tightly, the blond's face was scrunched in concentration and effort to squeeze harder and harder with his weak fingers.

After approximately fifteen seconds, he finally gave up and let out a frustrated grunt, furrowing his eyebrows.

"I can't do it. This is bloody useless, Tommy" He complained, crossing his arms from his spot sitting in the middle of the hospital bed, legs crossed as well.

"Yes you can, you're already getting better" Thomas assured trying to show his most reassuring grin possible, but frowned when he caught Newt looking down angrily. "Hey, don't punish yourself, you understand it's going to take time" He confidently put his index finger in Newt's chin to raise his head and chuckled when Newt gave up his seriousness and cracked a smile.

They've been doing this for about two weeks, Doctor Paige, Randall and the rest of the doctors observing from outside. Newt was still weak but getting there, everyone guessed that's what happens when you're out of an eight month induced coma after getting infected with a life threatened virus. They have been expecting at least some side effects, the results had been too perfect to be real. But Newt's brain didn't suffer any serious damage, and there was no trail of the Flare virus anymore. The scar in his chest from the surgery had already healed perfectly.

Everything was good with Newt here, sassy as Thomas remembered him. Yes, he was a little bumped with the traumatic past, but it was his Newt. He hasn't opened up about anything yet and Thomas wished he could talk, but he wasn't going to push him. What Newt did do was asking questions about how everyone else were, what the hell Thomas was doing here, how was he alive and why Thomas had been too stupid to sell himself to WCKD. At the end, he understood, Thomas told him everything, since the moment everyone thought he was dead until he woke up extremely confused in that bed. It was difficult, had to go back in time.

Thomas's mornings were saved for the blond boy, Randall let him visit him since it helped with the recovery. Thomas better knew it was just because Newt was also their experiment, the first person cured inside WCKD headquarters, and they wanted to see a fast progress.

The rest of the day was dedicated to experimentation and more experimentation. During that time Thomas felt a deep fear in his bones of what they were doing with Newt, if he was scared, or in pain. But he knew Newt could take care of himself, he was brave. Although he asked Ava Paige to informed him at the end of the day.

The woman's behavior was really odd, Thomas knew she was not a person you should trust in, but she had almost convinced him. She would come to his room before sleep time, and told him about Newt, who was examined by her every few hours along the day. Thomas thanked it was her because he didn't exactly know the rest of the doctors and scientists and he definitely didn't want Randall to do it. Sometimes she could give him a lot of information and other times Thomas didn't have the strength to keep his eyes open for her.

"Good job Mr. Newton" Randall spoke as he walked into the room interrupting their moment. "Time to go, Thomas" Now it was Thomas' time to look down, every trail of a smile completely erased from his lips.

"You'll be here tomorrow, right?" Newt asked him.

"Of course. You won't get rid of your therapy, or me" Thomas smirked and Newt couldn't help but roll his eyes and hit him in the shoulder playfully.