➭Chapter 8: Favorite crime

"All the things I did
Just so I could call you mine
The things you did
Well, I hope I was your favorite crime"

Favorite Crime – Olivia Rodrigo

▰▱▰▱▰▱

A week later Thomas was fully back on his feet, his strength restored almost to its full range. He had come back to the routine yesterday, and he noticed Randall was desperate to do it. The best things about the last free days were Newt. Although Randall didn't let him see Newt during the morning, Doctor Paige arranged so they could meet at night, and left the two boys alone until Newt came back to his room by himself.

He wasn't sure about his relationship with Newt, until no long ago he had thought he was his best friend. But there was something about him, something he wasn't sure how to describe. Teresa had never made him feel something like that. Sure, he had liked her in a way, but she was almost like his sister, they've grown up together. Back at the safe haven he had spent nights thinking about his last moments with her, their kiss. It was a really emotional moment, he thought he had lost Newt and tried to block that pain by kissing her. It worked for a moment, but then he realized it was stupid, and felt worse than he already was. He somehow felt a traitor to the blond.

"Daydreaming again, Tommy?"

Someone snapped fingers in front of his eyes, stopping his trance. Thomas blinked his eyes rapidly and turner to his right to find Newt sitting legs crossed on the floor of his bedroom. They were hanging out like every night, sitting with their backs resting against his bed, eating snacks Newt could collect from a cafeteria since he was allowed with Paige.

"Sorry, I-I just zoned out." He spoke firmly to hide any trace of lie from his tone. "What were you saying?"

"It's okay. I was just telling you I found something. Well, actually Ava took me there, but I'll take you to see it one of this days. It's amazing" Newt had this bright smile on his face, speaking with so much passion. Thomas loved to see it.

"Really? I don't know, Newt. Someone could see us"

Newt's expression turned into a frown almost immediately. Thomas hated that. He hated being the reason Newt was sad or disappointed. Because he was the cause. He and his stupid fucked up mind. He hated himself.

He shook those thoughts away, involuntary shaking his head as well, and forced a smile on his lips. It didn't quite reach his eyes but it was something.

"We could try, though"

Newt's face showed a smile again and Thomas was satisfied with that. The blond took the last chip from a packet they had between them and wiped his hands on his trousers quickly, then he spoke.

"Hell yes. We can go tomorrow"

▰▱▰▱▰▱

They didn't end up going the next day, because Thomas didn't feel well after a hard day of tests and he was still recovering from his illness from days ago so he was still a little weak. However, they did go three days later.

That's why Thomas was currently putting on a WCKD jacket Newt had given to him for this. He immediately guessed they were going outside, Newt hadn't wanted to tell him the mysterious place, but he knew he gave this to him so he wasn't cold, and WCKD headquarters had a central-heating.

He finished getting dressed and took a look at himself at the mirror. For some reason, he had the need to get ready a little more, and fix his appearance despite eye bags and pale skin. He ruffled his hair a bit, leaving it messy but nice.

Someone knocked at his door and he walked out of the bathroom and opened it just to find Newt standing on the other side, holding his index finger on his lips so he understood they had to keep quiet.