➭Chapter 19: Falling apart

"We were running out, through the storms, through the night
We were running in the dark, we were following our hearts
And we would fall down and we would slowly fall apart
We would slowly fall into the dark"

Falling apart – Michael Schultle

▰▱▰▱▰▱

Trigger warning for a seizure.

Newt's head couldn't process the tons of things that happened in the lapse of a second. Just a moment before the havoc appeared, he was just staring at Thomas, who was there barely standing, sweat dripping down his brow, pale face. He was doing everything in his will not to run towards him, knowing it would just make it worst. When he realized he wouldn't be able to answer Randall, it was too late and a loud noise deafened his ears.

At first he thought the worst, when he watched at Thomas body collapsed to the floor, but then he realized it did before the blow, however it made him believe Jorge was dead by Brenda's screaming.

He was so relieved he was wrong, because once his foggy sight cleared, the man holding Jorge was the one collapsed there, and a hole in the side of his head was pouring blood freely.

He didn't care about the source of the gunshot, all he did was crawl towards Thomas, who lied there all twitching and convulsing. A dread sensation settled in the pit of his stomach. Vince was following him from behind, basically praying not to be hit by one of the flying bullets. Within a second they was besides the brunet boy.

"Help me turn him on his side!" He choked out the order under the loud noises. Vince obeyed troubled, holding Thomas by his shoulder to support his rigid body. "Unzip his jacket"

"What the hell is happening to him!?" He yelled with what seemed partly anger and stress between concern.

"He's having another bloody seizure!" Newt cursed under his breath after his statement, also supporting Thomas as the boy vomited the choking saliva between distressed gurgling noises. "We just let him ride it out on his own!"

"We need to get him out of this mess!" Vince just spoke facts. It seemed impossible to even think about raising on their feet right now. "How long does it last!?"

"It varies, it should last less than five minutes, or else we have to get help soon!" Newt explained, cupping Thomas' forehead to prevent him from hurting himself. "He scraped his elbow, keep him from doing that" He told Vince what to do, all based on the things Ava had told him, "We need Doctor Paige, he's coming out of it"

Vince held Thomas' until his body relaxed and went completely limp on the ground, he raised his head and looked around, a lot of people had settled around them, both Randall's and the Safe Haven's. He looked at the previous packages now empty of people, "Let's take him there, I'll grab him you just watch my back"

He took the boy in his arms, who almost not surprisingly weighted quite little. Newt followed behind, taking out his pistol and paying attention to every possible attack. They moved through the war zone at a fast, yet excruciating pace. Once they reached their destination he lowered him on the floor behind the package, careful not to expose him to a clean shot.

Newt immediately spotted Sonya near, who was with Olivia, and she walked herself and the little girl towards them to inspect curiously.

"Oh my..." Sonya didn't finish her words, before she jumped into action with the medical knowledge she supported and put Thomas in what Newt recognized as the recovery position.

"What happened to Thomas?" Olivia asked kinda startled by the image in front of her, and around her as well, just at the same time Thomas came around slowly, without allowing Newt to respond.