➭Chapter 11: Someone to stay

"Hear the fallen and lonely, cry out
Will you fix me up? Will you show me hope?
At the end of the day you were helpless
Can you keep me close? Can you love me most?"

Someone to stay – Tim Bettinson

▰▱▰▱▰▱

Newt walked through the hallways of the nightmare WCKD had turned the last weeks. Head down and a tense posture as always, catching the least guard attention possible. His days had made a twist but now there were pretty much the same and he was attached to the routine.

Once Randall had broken from his daze, the whole atmosphere turned completely tensed. He had decided WCKD wasn't enough of rules, and made everyone prisoners of his insane mind. Guards were everyone, constantly pacing in the hallways, outside walls and especially the main door. The man seemed to be desperate at the moment, and it wasn't making it any good since he was the one with absolute power.

Now Newt had been called to the meeting room by Ava Paige. And for meeting room, it meant the room where he and the doctor could talk without being watched or bothered. She was still in charge of Thomas, who didn't show any sign of answer to stimuli yet and was making everyone anxious.

Ava and Newt had a stronger relationship now, even though the woman had a not so agreeable past. They had bonded more the second she began to provide him with any information under her ownership. However, Newt was being cautious with that, because she was known for doing unadmirable stuff.

One of the guards received him outside the room, like they did lately. She had her contacts, and made sure no one bothered him as he walked freely through the building. They checked him all over and let him come in.

"Which are the news?" He asked warily when he positioned in front of the woman, running a hand through his mid-long golden hair. He needed a haircut.

"Hello, Newton. Take a seat, we have things to talk about" She spoke with that neutral voice she had. "Did someone touch you on your way here?"

"Um, no. All good" He shifted on his spot and continued, "What did you have to tell me. Is it about Tommy?"

"I'm afraid, no. Thomas' condition hasn't shown any change. But Randall's security team was attacked one more time."

Newt sighed but looked up when he heard the last sentence, showing an obvious confused frown on his face. "Another one? They are already on the third one"

"We believe we found pattern, although at simple sight they looked pretty much aleatory." She ordered another man to prepare the screen above her on the wall, and Newt examined the map it showed. "They are attacking around the building, far away but coming closer. Randall is going crazy with this, and with don't know what to think"

That was the reality now. This attackers were still unknown, working under a low profile. They were in doubt with their ideas, because there was a big possibility these were their friends. But they could also be another team coming to harm them, not caring about the valuable people inside. They couldn't discharge the fact there was a whole community WCKD was supporting, and they couldn't risk innocent lives under these silent attacks. 

"Have you thought of something yet?" Newt asked, analyzing the marked map.

"We were hoping you could do it with us"

"I still think this could be the right arm people. Based on the stealthy moves, they were known for that. And if they are attacking they must be coming for Tommy and I. That was something anyone already thought of. The best we could do is investigate the zone. They are rounding WCKD, cornering more as the attacks are made. It means they are getting more terrain for them"